Women in EMS

Voodoo1

Forum Crew Member
There's a few things that crossed my mind when faced with that special brand of crap.
1. I'm just here killing time in between pregnancies.
2. My big strong husband/boyfriend let me out of the kitchen long enough to treat your sorry :censored:
3. Yeah, I know..I'm not strong enough to keep this stretcher from dropping :)
4. Damn boobs keep getting in the way!

Feel free to add...

Calichic

Forum Probie
I get the same thing,I feel your pain.. I was even pointed out in school saying that they thought I was not capable of lifting or loading/unloading the gurney, well I showed them I can..I am 5'2 at 103lbs but I can lift along with the rest of the guys
but it is what it is its like that everywhere no matter what job it is, I just blow it off
not worth the time or energy to be bothered by peoples opinions

Calichic

Forum Probie
Hey everyone,

I'm currently working as an EMT for a BLS company and I seem to get this from patients and hospital staff all the time. I feel like I'm constantly being undermined for my 5'2 stature and also aside from the fact that I'm a lady. I work out, am physically fit, and never had any issues lifting pts

Hi Annie,

I get the same thing,I feel your pain.. I was even pointed out in school saying that they thought I was not capable of lifting or loading/unloading the gurney, well I showed them I can..I am 5'2 at 103lbs and I can lift along with the rest of the guys
but it is what it is its like that everywhere no matter what the job it is, I just blow it off
not worth the time or energy to be bothered by other peoples opinions

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As already mentioned, having a female partner is nice since it allows some flexibility with gender match ups in back. I've had more than a few psych calls get sent to other units because a female was needed as an attendant and I was working with another male. As long as someone can lift, I could care less about gender.

That said, when I work with female partners I always take the bottom of the stairchair. It's not because my partners aren't strong, but rather that I am taller than all of my female partners so it's better for both of us if I'm on the bottom. I've had a female partner "accuse" me of thinking that she was "weak since I'm a girl," but in reality I try and take the bottom whenever there is a significant height difference.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
My fiance and I are ALS providers on the same small 911 service and many times were partners, so my official stance has to be that women are a valued edition to any EMS service. If I say any different, I sleep on a couch.

blackhorse

Forum Ride Along
There's a few things that crossed my mind when faced with that special brand of crap.
2. My big strong husband/boyfriend let me out of the kitchen long enough to treat your sorry :censored:

Feel free to add...

This is awesome, thanks for the laughs this morning:rofl:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I get it occasionally when riding ambulances. I'm female, look like I'm 16, average height, and really scrawny. Coming from patients, I don't mind it. How I'll react depends on why I think they're doing it. A lot, especially women, are just curious because they haven't seen women doing this before. A lot are just obnoxious because they feel powerless as patients. A lot are just old creepers. I have standard replies for everyone. Coming from coworkers, I'll take it more seriously. If they're blunt about bringing it up, I ask them to come with me to the gym right away. (They usually say no, because they're worried about being shown up. Funny how the weakest guys are usually the biggest jerks.) If they just insist on "helping," I smile and let them... then make sure to return the favor. If they comment on how they can't let a girl do that, I comment on how I can't let an old person do it either. :)

I get it to a much greater extent when I'm riding fire trucks, but that's another story. (I handle it much the same way, except that I need to do it with almost every new crew and be a lot more aggressive about it.)

Ideally, I like riding with a big, older, male partner. Sometimes that intimidation factor comes in handy, and the height and brawn can be useful. It also allows more flexibility with patient care.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant

Feel free to add...

Awesome! thanks for the laughs

SuperScarlett

Forum Probie
Really glad you posted this...

I am 5'1", 120 pounds soaking wet and starting my very first EMT job this week. I also look like I'm barely out of high school...

Makes me feel a little better seeing that at least most other EMT's aren't going to be complete d*cks about how tiny I am as long as I can pull my weight. I still about cried when I was getting my uniform though; the supplier my co uses doesn't stock a single piece of ladies clothing and I felt like a little girl playing dress up in my daddy's closet. Hopefully once HR sees me in my man clothes they'll be willing to put in a PO for something a little less ridiculous looking...hopefully...

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
Really glad you posted this...

I am 5'1", 120 pounds soaking wet and starting my very first EMT job this week. I also look like I'm barely out of high school...

Makes me feel a little better seeing that at least most other EMT's aren't going to be complete d*cks about how tiny I am as long as I can pull my weight. I still about cried when I was getting my uniform though; the supplier my co uses doesn't stock a single piece of ladies clothing and I felt like a little girl playing dress up in my daddy's closet. Hopefully once HR sees me in my man clothes they'll be willing to put in a PO for something a little less ridiculous looking...hopefully...

LOL superscarlet, but I feel the same way. Im 5'3, 145, and I feel silly dressing up too. That sux about uniform! Good luck!

Epi-do

I see dead people
One of my favorite responses to patients, when it is my partner that is going to be teching the run, is, "Not only do they let me do this job, they let me drive the big truck too! Isn't that cool?"

Upon arriving at the hospital, after opening the doors, I then tell them, "I hope the ride was ok! I only drove on the sidewalk a couple times, but I did miss the small dog and that big group of people, so I did really good today!"

It usually gets a laugh, and if I have to run on the same person again, they typically don't make any more of those types of comments.

Calichic

Forum Probie
One of my favorite responses to patients, when it is my partner that is going to be teching the run, is, "Not only do they let me do this job, they let me drive the big truck too! Isn't that cool?"

Upon arriving at the hospital, after opening the doors, I then tell them, "I hope the ride was ok! I only drove on the sidewalk a couple times, but I did miss the small dog and that big group of people, so I did really good today!"

It usually gets a laugh, and if I have to run on the same person again, they typically don't make any more of those types of comments.

Lol, I like that I am going to have to remember that one

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I run into problems occasionally. Most of the fire guys know me by now and know that I'm stronger than average. What irritates me is the chivalry nonsense. We're all trying to do a job, stop insisting on carrying stuff and opening doors.

When older people comment I brush it off, different era and all that. And some people are genuinely concerned, we had a 320lb pt who questioned if I could lift him. He had a major fear of being dropped and he wasn't trying to be insulting. I reassured him, and he ended up apologizing and thanking me at the end of the call.

When someone is trying to be a jerk I can usually come up with a smart arse reply pretty quick. It seems that half the people who comment on me being a girl are drunk s*itheads who I out weigh by 30lbs. Stupid Napoleon complex...

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I am a female, and personally I don't have much problem with being underestimated as a female in EMS. My first partner was a female and she was 5'0'' and I'm only 5'6''. Our motto was "anything y'all can do we can do better." We earned respect from the males we worked around.

I currently now have a partner that is about 5'4'' and her and I both are tough as nails.

I think it's all about how you present yourself and you must make the best of it and just make sure that you do your job to the best of your abilities to show the men that give you trouble that you are willing and able to handle the job.

Good Luck.