Woman files suit against fire districts,

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Woman files suit against fire districts, former supervisor

Posted: Wednesday, Dec 29, 2004 - 05:43:38 pm PST
By Brad W. Gary
Herald staff writer

EPHRATA -- A Grant County fire fighter and Emergency Medical Technician has filed suit against her former boss, accusing the supervisor of sexual harassment.

Deborah Smith filed an unlawful discrimination lawsuit in Grant County Superior Court earlier this month, charging two Grant County Fire Districts, her supervisor James Joseph Sahli and his wife Jane Doe Sahli with harassment and intimidation.

Smith was employed as an EMT for Grant County Fire District No. 10 and a firefighter for Grant County Fire District No. 11, both districts of which are named in the suit. Sahli was the Assistant Chief of Grant County Fire District No. 11 and the Eastside EMS Captain for Grant County Fire District No. 10. Fire District No. 10 is based out of Royal City and Fire District No. 11 is based out of Mardon and Royal Camp.

These are the two fire districts nearest to where I am, but don't include mine (thankfully).

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's always hard to see. I've never seen anyone disciplined or fired for sexual harassment, but also don't see it as a huge issue. I wonder what she considers harassing.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Jan 3 2005, 03:33 AM
That's always hard to see. I've never seen anyone disciplined or fired for sexual harassment, but also don't see it as a huge issue. I wonder what she considers harassing.
Evidently, he held her against her will at the station and exposed himself to her.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Technically, I get harassed at the firehouse all the time - if you follow the definition. I call it "boys will be boys"... and I let them know when they're crossing the line and they trim it back a bit. It doesn't bother me unless I feel threatened - then I would report it - some women are much more sensitive, but it is their right to be that way.

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
Around here if I wasn't being harrassed I would think they didn't like me. But I do let them know if they cross the line and they know when enough is enough. EMS is not a business where you can be overly sensitive as far as I'm concerned.