Will this help boost my resume? Help!

AmbulanceRider

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, I'm new to the EMS world and I'd like some tips for my resume that I will be working on once I get my EMT certification next month. My local community college is offering an Emergency Medical Studies Certificate program in addition to the basic EMT course; I was wondering if this certificate is worth pursuing and will it help me have a better chance at finding a job in the field here in New Jersey? Thanks in advance for all your answers. :D

MedicBender

Forum Captain
It might help, but honestly the biggest plus to your resume will be any customer service experience.

I worked at old navy for a couple years before my EMS career, and even 7 years later I still have employers ask about the customer service skills I learned there.

EMS is 5% medicine, and 95% dealing with people. Employers want to know that you have the skills to deal with all sorts of people. Sure EMT is required, and those card classes are nice, but none of that matters if you can't interact with people in a professional manner.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It might help, but honestly the biggest plus to your resume will be any customer service experience.

I worked at old navy for a couple years before my EMS career, and even 7 years later I still have employers ask about the customer service skills I learned there.

EMS is 5% medicine, and 95% dealing with people. Employers want to know that you have the skills to deal with all sorts of people. Sure EMT is required, and those card classes are nice, but none of that matters if you can't interact with people in a professional manner.

I have no idea if such a class will help the OP get an interview. However if he or she gets one, the above type of experience will be far more beneficial than another EMT basic type add on class. Showing that you know how to deal with people problems an interview is will probably be the most important part of any interview.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I have no idea if such a class will help the OP get an interview. However if he or she gets one, the above type of experience will be far more beneficial than another EMT basic type add on class. Showing that you know how to deal with people problems an interview is will probably be the most important part of any interview.

Agreed. In all of my paramedic interviews I've talked extensively about my retail job.

OP
OP
A

AmbulanceRider

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been working at CVS as a photo lab tech since June now, as well as volunteering at my local EMS squad as a cadet; so I hope that all helps when it comes time to apply for my first EMS job.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've been working at CVS as a photo lab tech since June now, as well as volunteering at my local EMS squad as a cadet; so I hope that all helps when it comes time to apply for my first EMS job.

It will. Just emphasize working with customers, helping them solve their problems, and any other customer service skills you can think of.