Will a fire department hire a pre-med student?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hehe... I never said people didn't do it. :D

Working as an EMT will provide a slight bump, but not any more than any other patient contact experience. Personally, I would talk more about observations of the health care system in a personal statement and interview than talking about providing emergency care.

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
That stereotype about pre-meds who are EMTs exists for a reason and becoming an EMT just to pad the application (especially if the person never works as an EMT) is very wrong, starting with the fact that there's much better things to do to help an application for the 120+hours than get a certificate and never put it to use.

I am curious as to how the Pre-med or med FF/EMTs act towards the career EMTs/FFs. I worked a shift during my schooling where I had a med student and a pre-med student. The Pre-med student (EMT) was cool as hell. The Med student (Paramedic) was a stuck up... well she made sure I knew she was med early on.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I am curious as to how the Pre-med or med FF/EMTs act towards the career EMTs/FFs. I worked a shift during my schooling where I had a med student and a pre-med student. The Pre-med student (EMT) was cool as hell. The Med student (Paramedic) was a stuck up... well she made sure I knew she was med early on.

Yep... and there are med students like that too. Stereotypes exist for a reason.