Why is it so hard to join a squad in NJ?

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
You obviously live with me, right? Who said I haven't been looking for a job. I definitely have and if I was able to get one then that would be the obvious thing to do. Common sense right? Stop being so quick to assume things!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, to be honest you do not need to be looking for a volunteer department right now. You should be putting all your efforts into finding something that actually pays. I know for a fact that fast food joints are hiring almost all the time. Fun job? Probably not, but it will get you the money you need to start school that can be finished in two weeks.

If I am the person who brings someone on to a volly department I would never send someone to get there EMT. Why? Because I can ALMOST guarantee you that people with their certs already are applying for slots that are not even open. Supply and demand. Good luck. Won't be posting here again, take it for what it is worth.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
How far are you willing to travel?

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
Well luckily I spoke to the captain at highland park for their ems squad yesterday and they will take me. That's a good 45 minutes. What squad did you have in mind?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ok, to be honest you do not need to be looking for a volunteer department right now. You should be putting all your efforts into finding something that actually pays. I know for a fact that fast food joints are hiring almost all the time. Fun job? Probably not, but it will get you the money you need to start school that can be finished in two weeks.
While I happen to agree that finding a job that pays is a priority, if she wants to become a volunteer, more power to her. However, I can see many squads seeing you as an unemployed person who is going to be sent to EMT school (on the Squad's dime, normally), who once she completes the class is going to leave for a paid job on a transport company since she needs a job. Maybe you would prove me wrong, but I have seen it happens time and time again.
Well luckily I spoke to the captain at highland park for their ems squad yesterday and they will take me. That's a good 45 minutes. What squad did you have in mind?
Glad to hear it. If David L is still Captain there, you will enjoy yourself, but it will probably be a culture shock from what you are used to.

Just so you know, you are bypassing about 20 or so volunteer agencies to get to HP from Orange (and skipping every agency in Union County). Not only that, but they respond from home for calls (and aren't all that busy), so you will have to figure out a way to do your duty shifts.

Good luck with HPFAS

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
I know I was actually thinking about that this morning. I am waiting to hear from South Orange. Hopefully the board members will approve me and I can start. I actually went there Thursday and got lucky because they were having a meeting but 3 out of 4 of the board members were there.