Why do you take this so serious?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
QUOTE (Summit @ Mar 4 2005, 03:11 PM)
In general, given the success rates of AEDs when they happen to be applicable on the rare chance htere is a situation where it would even be taken off itst stand, I think the funds spent on public AEDs, very expensive devices, could be spent in other ways that would save far more lives.

I'd like to know what kind of ideas you have as well. Anything to keep around public areas that might save more lives is a definite plus. I always think about something happening to someone who might be shopping at the mall, and I hate to think I couldn't do anything because I didn't have the equipment on hand. (I'm seriously considering getting one of those kits to keep in my car, but they're awfully expensive, while this contradicts what I'm about to say below, I just can't afford it right now)

I wouldn't say that having AED's anywhere aren't worth the price though. One life saved is worth the 5k spent (if that).

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Mar 3 2005, 06:23 AM

Oh, and for the record, He has the top average in our class, I am 2 points behind him with the second highest. But thats okay, I will catch him on this next exam. :lol: :lol:
I am glad you are doing so well in class. I also applaud you for dedication to your class. Doing well in class or not does not hold much water for me. I have met a few very book smart individuals who are a mess on the street and vice versa. Just the other night I ran a MVA on my volly dept. with a First responder I had recently graded on a Trauma assessment during practicals. He was a mess in class and shined brightly on scene. So I would not jump the gun judging those whose study habits and grades aren't as good as yours. I do recognize that there are those who should not be in EMS... no dedication... but lack of grades or study habits is not a definate way to sort them out.

This is an opinion of coloradoemt and in no way reflects the opinions of emtlife. :lol:

Summit

Critical Crazy
What could the money go to? Preventative education and more public FA classes is just whats off the top of my head.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
I think having AED's available in public places is worth the cost. The difference a few minutes makes when someone goes into arrest is drastic. I know in San Diego it is a growing trend in public places such as amusement parks (Sea World), the airport, office buildings, downtown has a few places with them I believe. I also think that they have the same ones as the medics so when they arrive on scene they can just plug the pads into their machine and go.

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as book smarts and street smarts goes, I too agree there is a big difference. I have been a first responder/ff for two years. I have seen many people who did fantastic on the book portions and could not for the life of them transfer that to real life scenerios, and vise versa.

I also know my skills, and have had many of paramedic comment to me and relay to our chiefs (AC, DC, and Chief) and ask my current instructors when I will complete the program because, they would take me on as their partner any day.

The funny thing is, even though I am confident in my skills as I have learned them, I still get the butterflies before each practicle check off or written exam, or clinical time.

Maybe I do take the studying and school part way to serious, but just because a person might be able to do a bang up job on scene in real life, it means absolutly nothing if they cannot pass the couse and get their certs to begin with.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Mar 4 2005, 08:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Mar 4 2005, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTstudent@Mar 4 2005, 04:09 PM
We're not bashing young people... I was describing the students in my class. One of the soon-to-be fire fighters is also 18 and he's doing terrific. He's part of my study group also. I only know she's 18 because she told us. I don't know everyone's age in my class...
Never said you were - jsut saying that someone is giving young EMT wannabes a bad name :lol: :rolleyes:

Jon [/b][/quote]
No problem...I just want everyone to make sure that I wasn't saying anything bad about them.

Some of the youngin's aren't doing so well only because they are goofing off and talking through the whole class.
The oldest one in the class who's a CNA isn't doing so hot either... (And she's also one of these "know-it-alls")

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by EMTstudent+Mar 8 2005, 08:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EMTstudent @ Mar 8 2005, 08:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Mar 4 2005, 08:28 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-EMTstudent
@Mar 4 2005, 04:09 PM
We're not bashing young people... I was describing the students in my class. One of the soon-to-be fire fighters is also 18 and he's doing terrific.  He's part of my study group also. I only know she's 18 because she told us.  I don't know everyone's age in my class...

Never said you were - jsut saying that someone is giving young EMT wannabes a bad name :lol: :rolleyes:

Jon
No problem...I just want everyone to make sure that I wasn't saying anything bad about them.

Some of the youngin's aren't doing so well only because they are goofing off and talking through the whole class.
The oldest one in the class who's a CNA isn't doing so hot either... (And she's also one of these "know-it-alls") [/b][/quote]
Oh, in my Basic class we had two CNA's who just pissed me off. They stood around with their hands on the hips, looking at their nails. During practicals, they would say things like "Oh, we do this all the time" The scenario being a pt who has just fell 15 feet. Really? Do that all the time? In a nursing home? Wasn't aware they were so bad now. I know for a fact that the instructor didnt care for them. Guess what? They failed.

I was 17 when I started my Basic class. There were a few young people, and some looking for a career change also. We were all mentally the same age, so the class worked well together. We didnt lose anyone the entire class. If someone didnt show up, everyone was calling wondering where they were. My iv-tech class is nothing like it. Almost everyday someone else is missing.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
People dropped like flies from my critical care class... partly because of the workload, partly because of the teacher... I think we went from 39 to 18 with 16 passing (right Alex?)

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
I am very surprised on how many are hanging on in my class right now. However, midterms are tonight and tomorrow. I am interested to see who's hanging on after this week. (Next week is withdrawl deadline). :unsure:

Yeah, the CNA in my class she does the same thing... she always interupts when we're studying trying to answer all of our questions. It's a little frustrating because we're trying to learn it whether or not she already knows it.
There is a girl in my class who works for an Urgent Care Facility and she studies just as hard as we do. She was knowledgable in the vital signs area which helped us, but she approached it with a helping hand.

We're all having alot of fun in the class... It's amazing how much one person can learn in such a short period of time. :wacko:
I am still trying to adjust my brain to keep it from going on information overload. :blink:

Anyways, I am gonna read a few more posts and go to lunch so I can study for my midterm. :wacko:

Later

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Good Luck on your midterm!!!

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Good Luck to you! We have an exam as well tonight. Bulk will be on Ch 19-25, but so far on the other exams about 1/3 of the test is pulled from other chapters as well.

We started clinicals this week. It is really starting to feel like we are getting somewhere now. Its all finally coming together and being able to put it to practicle use is great!

Plus, the hospital I am assigned to has a VERY WELL STOCKED "break room" for EMS people. Recliners, Tv, all the food and drink you could want, and a bed in one corner. I think that is the room our instructor told us he had better not catch us hanging out in.

"Honest, I only went in there to study a little" :ph34r: :ph34r: :) :)

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
LOL!!!

Yeah, I would be goin in there to catch a cat nap... Uh...sorry sir, I must have experienced a syncable episode??!!

The midterm was good. It was really easy. Tonight, is the Lab Practical Midterm, in which we "do" the patient assessment on plastic people. I named mine Jed.

I think I will be okay. We have 15 minutes to do it in... and last night I did it in 5. So...here's to practicing!

Cya!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Lucky! We had 10 minutes to do our assessments. Do they split your practical exams up? We had a medical assessment for our midterm and a trauma assessment for our final.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Wow, 10 minutes? Unreal. :eek:

Not sure what our final will be, but our midterm is patient assessment as a whole and a part of it is the rapid trauma assessment. I am getting a little nervous now, because I have to leave in like 20 minutes to go take my test... :unsure: :blink: :unsure:

Keep your fingers crossed

OP
OP
MedicPrincess

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Good Luck to you. Our exam last night was #3 of 4 for EMT 2. I scored only an 81, but I am good with that. I am going into the final only needing a 43 to pass and move onto EMT 3. I think I should do fine.

You'll do fine. Just remember to breath!!!!

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm sure you did great...Let us know :)

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Wingnut@Mar 10 2005, 03:29 PM
Lucky! We had 10 minutes to do our assessments. Do they split your practical exams up? We had a medical assessment for our midterm and a trauma assessment for our final.
My class was similar, except they didnt grade us on the medical assessment on our midterm. The teacher told us we would have to do it for the midterm and everyone flipped out because we had barely been in class for a week and hadnt learned all the medical stuff yet. So after everyone took the midterm she told us in class that it wasnt graded and everyone was very relieved. :lol: She told us she only does it so we will work on patient assessment before its week 4 and we're cramming for the final. Then we were graded on medical and trauma at the final.

There is a method to her madness... only one person out of 39 in a 4 week class failed. :D

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
I take only a portion of the class time serious, I take seriously what I need to do my job, what I dont take serious is the crap they teach us that makes us sound ignorant, like alot of the big words that are irrelevant for us to actually use, I leanr them, but I blow iff instruction to use it,. When we use the big words, even ones like proximal, all id does is add to other "real" medical people that we are a pseudo-health profession thats wearing its big brothers shoes to look cool.

As far as the job goes, though, I just recently renewed my license and had seriously considered not doing so, but then I began to think about it. I take this aspect seriously not because i think im important, but that I am trained. I took the courses and became what i am and now it would be wrong for me to not make myself available to those who need what i have leanred. The selfishness of ending it outweighed the BS that we endure within the profession, so I filled out my forms.

I dont take it seriously because i am a life saver, I dont believe EMS saves as many lives as it would like people to believe.

I dont take it serious because of the adrenaline, even a page for a rollover accident with entrapment barely gets my heart racing.

I take it seriously becasuse i made the decision to learn how to do something that benefits society, and since i learned it, and have lost the choice to unlearn it, I learned to do it well. So now, until my body or mind will no longer allow me to do it, I am required to do it, do it well, and take it seriously.

EMTstudent

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Wingnut@Mar 10 2005, 11:36 PM
I'm sure you did great...Let us know :)
I GOT 100 ON MY MIDTERM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a 100 for the written version and also a 100 on the physical pt assessment!!!

I am on cloud 9!!! :D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

:D :D :D CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D