Why do they always call at 2 a.m.?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
JeepMedic that's very sweet! so who won the race and was the patient happy?:)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
The year that Ward Burton Won. And being we were in South Boston, VA we were all Happy. And later after my shift pretty Drunk.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We were running on a lady every shift, overmedicated, fell out of her chair....laying in the yard, etc.. I now know how APS works. Filled out the online form (Texas), got a call back a week later and they told me she was placed in a nursing home (no doubt where she needed to be). So I guess things can be done for some of those late night calls for BS. But there are many more out there! Keep on keepin on.

What I realized was the hotline # to APS is not an instant response kind of #. I asked what if it was very urgent and the pt. could not be left alone... They said PD will take care of it if it is very urgent??? Anyway....
We have a patient like that... she uses Medic Alert every other day when she falls... next time I have her, I'm going to try to do something about it.

macinfire

Forum Probie
Had a little old lady tell me once that she wanted to wait untill the end of the Daytona 500 to go to the hospital. (only 2 laps left so we watched and waited)

We had a poss. hip fx yesterday at a nursing home..... She was eating dinner in bed when we arrived. Staff said left leg shorter, blah, blah, she lifted her left leg and began exercising it. Transport......

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

macinfire

Forum Probie
Thanks... but I'm not sure we really have an abuse issue... it seems to be that there just isn't a good enough support system in place for the patient, espicially when they've "fallen and can't get up."

Y'know.. maybe this should be split off into a new topic.

probably so....

just FYI, the pt. I was talking about had a niece who was there all the time, but throwing her hands up everytime we got called, so I was under the impression this was not something APS would handle. I guess she just needed a little push to put the pt. somewhere else???

we'll start a new thread if we run into some more good info on this.....

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Alot of the problem with the "Medic Alarms" is that the Pt. will use them all the time for anything and the alarm co. does not know what is wrong just that the alarm went off. I have been to houses where the alarm went off and no one was home. But they call EMS because it is what they do. Dispatcher says that alarm co. called for Ambulance. Thats all the information they get. I hate these type of calls.

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Gotta love it

Gotta love the people that call at 3 am and when you get there and ask: When did this happen ? and they say "Two weeks ago."

The weekend nights are always fun when the radio cars [police] call you for everything under the sun, from taser deployments to the bar clearing brawls, etc.

Those vidoes on You Tube that I have seen explains it all.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
holy thread ressurection!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Only 3.5 year old save...there was a 4 year one a few months ago....

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
icon_ranton.gif

We've all had patients like this.....they call 911, complaining about chest pain or think they are having a stroke or countless other complaints. We show up and there isn't a darn thing wrong with them.

Last night we were dispatched to a stroke at 2 a.m. We show up and it is a 19yoF laying on the couch and doing the worst acting I have ever seen. She tells us her entire left side is tingling and numb and she can't move it or feel anything at all, while putting the back of her left hand on her forehead and doing the "I feel so sick" bit, moaning the entire time. Her entire family is standing around her carrying on like they just know she is going to die.

All of her vital signs are completely normal, no slurred speech, no deficets to the left side at all. She gets up by herself and walks completely unassisted to the cot because she insists on going to the hospital. There is absolutely nothing physically wrong with this girl!

I really wish that something could be done about people like this that abuse the system. While we were dealing with her, a run came out less than a block from our firehouse. It was a serious MVA with entrapment. One of the people involved was pretty messed up. They really needed our help, and instead of us getting there in no time flat, they had to wait for the next closest and available units to get there.

I really do love this job, but sometimes I really wish I could tell people they are full of crap and if they want to get attention from their family, there are other ways of doing it besides wasting my time and pulling me out of service when someone else really does have an emergency and needs our help.

icon_rantoff.gif

Just needed to get that off my chest. I know it won't stop people like that from calling, but I really just needed to spout off about it a little bit.

Personally I'm always up at 2 am (night owl) :nosoupfortroll:
I dont' mind the night time calls, it's the day time calls I'm not too fond of! :p

Course as Vol Fire Fighter, I was just about 1 of 3 people who always made the daytime calls... So I guess it worked both ways!! :p

Last edited by a moderator: