why did you join ems?

JCEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Just wanted to get some insight in why you may have chosen to join ems. I'm not experienced, I'm a newly licensed EMT-B/ Medic Student so I have a kind of fresh view of things than people with experience might have. But I'll at least give it a shot as to why I went into EMS, and am currently taking my EMT-P course and taking classes for my pre-medicine requirements:

I went to college for 2 years before I decided to go into this, majoring in Athletic Training. I played college soccer and did all that crap, but still was not happy with what i was learning or doing. I talked to my aunt who is a paramedic and became intrigued. I researched it a lot, spoke with medics, and decided I would try it. I can honestly say so far I have loved everything I have learned and done. It was the first time in my life that I loved and looked forward to showing up to class and learning about this. I love working with the people (albeit a lot of them are ****** :p). I don't have a lot of experience to draw on, and I know with time my outlook on it might/will change, but I love it so far. I just love learning this stuff and then applying it when i'm in the field. I know a lot of the work will be transfers..things like that, but I feel like in some way I will have made a difference in someones life, cheesy as it may sound, but it means a lot to me. So, thats a summary of why I went into EMS, please share why you did. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
By the way, welcome to the site!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Roy and Johnny.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
The police got suspicious of my travelling in a white van with tinted windows with ice cream written on the side, so i changed to one that says ambulance and nobody takes a second look at me!

just kidding

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nursing school had a long waitlist

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I signed up for our service's junior corps on a whim. The rest, as they say, is history.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
hahahaha everyone in ems needs a sense of humor and so we tend not to be very serious on here in many cases lol

and uhm, i'm medically gifted and love the rush and helping others so...uh... ^_^

sunbee

Forum Probie
I wanted to gain health care experience so I can be a competitive applicant for PA school and I got in!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I signed up for our service's junior corps on a whim. The rest, as they say, is history.
Pretty much the same... except that I was "voluntold" to join the Explorer post as it was started... because it was being run by a family friend, and I was already in scouts.

And I'm still around.

AnthonyTheEmt

Forum Lieutenant
Because it is an awesome career, there are always stupid people (who provide job security), and plus, the goal of going FD

piranah

Forum Captain
I like sticking people with sharp things......especially if its in the neck...jk...It was to see if i liked healthcare...guess what..I DID

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I like to know whats going on.

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Because I am crazy.:wacko::p Just kidding.

The reason why I joined was due to something I saw when I was much younger that stuck with me. It was a vehicle crash in which a young man lost his life.
Discovered I was one of the people that runs towards danger rather then away.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Its exciting a lot of the times, rewarding career, helping people, independent thinking often times, a new work environment everyday.

BUT....
Who I would love to hear from is some of the people who talk so negatively about EMS all the time, and why they joined it? Why if they think it sucks so bad still hold a certification in it?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Technically i am not ems but an owner. As for reason why i enter the business, i own nemt for 10 years and decided it was time to go to next level. It was between just continue doing nemt, sell it and do finance(i have finance degree) or enter ems and do both. Finance is dead, runing nemt is okay but state don't pay that nice. So i am now doing both as many other private companys do.

Tiburtron

Forum Ride Along
I decided to give it a shot because I'm so bored in college, I've changed my major numerous times and just can't find a happy place.

Soo! Why not serve my community & help people!?:p