Why did you choose to become an EMT/Paramedic ?

AudiGirl

Forum Probie
Perhaps it's been asked before, maybe there's even a sticky thread about it.
But... I'm new, and curious!

Why did you choose to become an EMT/Paramedic ?

I am often in a situation where someone has fallen ill (slip and fall, seizure, car accident. etc I live in LA, so its not uncommon) among all the strangers who are staring and in shock, I always focus on participating in assisting while waiting for an ambulance.
I do have some experience with emergency situations as I am a parent to a special needs child who has a trach and ventilator.
After my daughter passed away, I spent many years lost with who I was and what to do with life.

Finally decided after years of procrastinating! super excited =)

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Sad but simple... After enlisting and a few other things, I was selected and tracked for some godforsaken reason towards medic instead of commo like I expected. When I was tired of putting holes in people, there was still a medic card to pay the bills with... and mostly enjoy it, minus the odd hours and wonderful stateside pay scales.

That's definitely a tough road you've been on. Good luck!

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Didn't know squat about it and wanted to know how the system worked. Also a shade of wanting to try something out of my comfort zone. I took the EMT class because it was inexpensive, and the company will pay for my medic.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Because I was tired of being a bio major. And when I was still engaged, becoming a FF/medic seemed like a pretty straight forward path that wouldn't require a masters degree, grad school, or any of that nonsense to settle into a chill family life. Now I am not engaged and planning on going back to school way down the road lol.

Surf40

Forum Probie
My two interests were law enforcement and healthcare. Started with law enforcement because my dad was a police officer. After 6 years in law enforcement, decided to leave for various reasons. Running medical calls with the FD were always the highlights of my shifts. Seriously considered medical school or PA, but after having a six figure career for so long, quitting work entirely to go to school for 2-4 years wasn't the best idea, plus I like being in the field with EMS. So naturally, pursuing EMT/Paramedic/FF was the best route for me.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I"m currently in school and when I was deciding I was going back and forth between EMT and MHA. I have always been fascinated with behavioral health but decided to start with EMT. I could always do both, why not. I'm working as a Dispatcher now which is another part of the spectrum. I love it.

On a sentimental note, I've had to call 911 twice in my life, both when I was much younger. I remember the dispatcher keeping me calm and giving me directions and I remember the sense of calm I felt when I saw the EMTs arriving. I would hope to give that sense of calm to people I encounter too.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Free milk at the hospital

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Yes. Who can resist the cool shirts that state:

Paramedics do it in the rear......of the ambulance.
Paramedics save lives. EMTs save paramedics
I fight what you fear.
See, this guy knows :cool: Don't forget the "We race the reaper doing what surgeons do at 110mph"

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nursing school had a waiting list

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I thought I signed up for a super cheap ENT program... By the time I realized it, the semester was almost over so I ran with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Damn dyslexia...

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Damn dyslexia...
afa36777e58f783f0519579e0cc71f0d_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mya

Forum Crew Member
Because I was tired of being a bio major. And when I was still engaged, becoming a FF/medic seemed like a pretty straight forward path that wouldn't require a masters degree, grad school, or any of that nonsense to settle into a chill family life. Now I am not engaged and planning on going back to school way down the road lol.

How I feel 80% of the time haha but I'm in too deep already. I'll probably be fully independent by my mid thirties.

I became an EMT because I wanted to see healthcare/medicine from a different perspective and get my hands dirty before school, but I've mainly gotten my hands dirty with paperwork.