Who are the three "mystery states"?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
According to the Federal Interagency Committee on EMS's report entitled "2011 National EMS Assessment":
With 49 states providing data, it was noted that 41 (84%) of the states utilize the National Registry of EMTs for entry-level assessment of EMS professionals. Of the 8 states that do not use the National Registry of EMTs, 3 indicated that they plan to use the National Registry of EMTs in the future.
http://ems.gov/pdf/2011/National_EMS_Assessment_Final_Draft_12202011.pdf

I wonder who those 3 states are. Any guesses?

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
But then the next page says
Information was provided by 7 of 8 states currently not using the National Registry of EMTs. It was noted that 4 of the 7 states plan to utilize the National Registry of EMTs for entry-level assessment of EMS professionals in the future. P261 of 550

This is a positive trend. Not because I am in love with the NREMT, but because I feel that a national certification is well overdue.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Lastly, on p263 there is a typo where they label the National Registry as the "MREMT". Oops!

mikeward

Forum Crew Member
According to the Federal Interagency Committee on EMS's report entitled "2011 National EMS Assessment":
I wonder who those 3 states are. Any guesses?

Reading the 2010 National Registry of EMT annual report (available on their website), the following states do not utilize the National Registry to issue EMS Licenses:

Massachusetts

New York

North Carolina

Illinois

Wyoming

In addition:

Florida uses the National Registry for
Basic certification only.

Alaska, Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey,
New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and Virginia
use the National Registry for Paramedic
certification only.

stlukescj11

Forum Crew Member
Reading the 2010 National Registry of EMT annual report (available on their website), the following states do not utilize the National Registry to issue EMS Licenses:

Massachusetts

New York

North Carolina

Illinois

Wyoming

In addition:

certification only.

So does mean being I reside in PA that it would be pointless to get my National? Or does it simply mean it would mean nothing to PA but in other states it does. I prolly answered my own question but why not

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
So does mean being I reside in PA that it would be pointless to get my National? Or does it simply mean it would mean nothing to PA but in other states it does. I prolly answered my own question but why not

Pennsylvania only requires you to take (and pass) the NREMT exam to become certified as a medic. If you're taking a basic class, you can still opt to take the NREMT-B tests, and it may even be part of your class depending on where you take it from, but you're not required to have NREMT.

stlukescj11

Forum Crew Member
Pennsylvania only requires you to take (and pass) the NREMT exam to become certified as a medic. If you're taking a basic class, you can still opt to take the NREMT-B tests, and it may even be part of your class depending on where you take it from, but you're not required to have NREMT.

ok thanks. I just wasnt sure if it would be an advantage for me. I am now a EMT in the state of PA so I guess next is Paramedic

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

Massachusetts

New York

North Carolina

Illinois

Wyoming

In addition:

certification only.

Indiana acceptance National Registry reciprocity IF you took an Indiana approved curriculum course. The only difference is Indiana test on terrorism. It is truly a hassle to get an Indiana cert that way, complete with quoted codes and crayon pictures.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
And there was silly me thinking this was just one big old country...what good is a 'National' registry that is NOT national at all!!! :wacko:

Traumjunk

Forum Probie
I would recommend getting your NREMT, you never know when you may decide to relocate and be like me testing 15 years out of school...LOL

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I would recommend getting your NREMT, you never know when you may decide to relocate and be like me testing 15 years out of school...LOL

This is pretty much why I advocate for the NREMT. I think the organization itself is majorly flawed, but you can't deny the value of a national certification and having that cert.