Which do you use/prefer... GPS or map book?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
This sounds like us.

MDT "get route", then paper map book, then personal GPS units.

Not sure if its just, but we've had a constant problem with personal GPS units taking crews wrong ways, less than ideal ways or not having the roads programmed. We have a policy about this now that says personal GPS is a last resort and if not used as such and there is a response delay caused by an inaccurate personal GPS the crew will face discipline.

Not an issue with the paper books and our MDT/CAD.

Exactly. Personal GPS can cause wrong route and will face discipline. So either follow blue line on MDT or Map book.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Depending on the data services in the area that I work in, I like to use either the computer, the GPS (if the base map is recently updated), or a recent map book. I prefer to remain proficient in all those methods because if one goes down the others can be a backup. I also strive to know the area that I work in, therefore if everything goes down, my map book has been burned, I pretty much figure out where to go without much else to go on. I did pretty good with over the years with that. In general, I have found that using any of those methods + local knowledge = efficient routing to calls. If you're not local, just do your best…

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I can see both arguments. The map book is often much quicker as it takes time to set up the GPS. However, most modern GPSs are equipped with traffic so they could find you the quickest route.

If you work for town, it would seem easiest just to become familiar with the area and use a map book as backup. Depending on the area you cover memorizing the whole town is not easy. If your dispatch is good, they should be able to give you cross-streets. One of them should be a major road.

However, for those who work in private companies know that you could cover multiple towns. This is when GPS would definitely be helpful. I have done ride along with MONOC Paramedics in NJ and have seen that their combination of GPS/MDT is a decent guide. Especially when they cover areas in multiple counties. That being said, the GPS is only as accurate as the data on it. And we know that towns are always building new homes, businesses etc. So if you keep the maps up to date, the GPS is a great tool.

jlw

Dirty cot jockey
911 Service I'm familiar enough with the area to not need anything.

Private job where I travel from Cleveland Ohio to Southern Kentucky and everywhere in between, GPS. Backup GPS on my phone. Road Atlas and Mapbook also on board.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Local knowledge gets me most places and GPS from there but its important you know how to use a map. Most ambulance have GPS now.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
I much prefer the GPS over the map books; however, it never hurts to have them around as a backup.