Where's the Excitement

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I am about to finish my basic class and have done a few ride-alongs, and I'm sad to say that so far it has been fairly disappointing. In San Diego (and probably most other places) the protocols take extreme precautions. Any type of 911 calls get medics and an engine at the scene, leaving the EMT-B's transporting people from place to place. I agree that this is good for the patient, its just sad that everything I'm learning about I will never see. Oh well.

stonez

Forum Crew Member
Just stick with it.
Here in South Africa our EMT-Bs are often the first on scene and in some cases the only people on scene.
We often have crews of Bs and Is and if they need assistance they call for ALS.
So our Bs get to do all they have being trained to do.
That might be motivation to get more qualifications?

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I fear that you're limited partly by your protocols, but there are countless of us who do work as 911 providers and so can you.

From what I've just read, seems like there are a two ways for EMT-Bs to work for 911 coverage in your city. According to the SDFD, you can either work in a ALS rig alongside Paramedics or get certified as a FF/EMT and respond in one of their fire rigs.
I don't know who you rode along with, though I suspect that you rode with the non-emergent units of the SDFD, but neighboring towns will probably be limited to relying primarily on BLS for coverage which means you'll have a higher probability of being dispatched when SHTF.
When it comes to urban EMS, there tends to be a pretty clear split in playing field between who gets what, this all ends the second you get to regions where they have a less developed EMS system.
There are private EMS companies which hold 911 contracts for suburbs around large cities, this will give you the opportunity to have some good calls between the Dialysis Express duties.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unfortunately, it is a reality check. This is where I get frustrated with educational systems not informing incoming students of real life. The chances of performance on delivering emergency care as what was taught is a rarity, not a common daily basis task.

This is not meant to be demeaning, but we rise expectations of students only later to have them totally leave the profession because it is nothing like we taught them. Rather, we should be teaching "in case" situation(s). Fortunately, more and more EMS is becoming advanced. This is (as you pointed out) better for the patient and better for the system.

Everyone has to begin at some point, but very few realize the vast numbers of Basic EMT's in the U.S. My rural state alone has over 5,000 Basic EMT's. Now, the problem is there is < 200 EMS. Like every other state, where does this leave the Basic?

Unfortunately, majority soon realize the expectations and reality is quite a different thing. This is where I would wish the curriculum would change. Yes, there are non-emergency transport systems that many work at until either they can get hired by an 911 provider, increase education or burn out.

We (EMS) have reached a point of dilemma like other professions of having too many and not enough in certain regions and areas. This is why I endorse more entry level requirements and better information of the EMT profession, before allowing anyone entry into any EMS classes. Like all other healthcare profession educational systems, it should be based upon supply and demand ratio.

I wish the best of luck, and hope you continue to pursue increasing your EMS knowledge. As you increase your level, you will be able to perform more at the level you were educated at, alas until we flood the market on this as well... ;)

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Many times, the amount and type of work that we -B's can do is based on establishing yourself as a good EMT with your partner. No one is going to let a person who is brand new do a whole lot of stuff until they are comfortable with their (the new person's) skills and abilities. Give it time, keep your mouth closed and your eyes open, and soon you'll start getting opportunities to be more than an organic IV pole. The Renal Roundup is a fact of life for many of us, but you can still use it to hone your assessment skills, patient interview procedures, and some of the finer points of TLC. Let this be a growth time for you, and good luck!

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
In San Diego there are no intermediate levels of training, unless you are a certified medic you are limited to the scope of a basic. I have hope that I can work hard and in a year or so be accepted to the SDFD bridged program as mentioned above, where I can work with a medic. Thanks to all for discussing

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
it depends on your service, your area and your protocols. i work for a non emergent transport service, at least on the outside. with out nursing home contracts for routine t/p and dialysis come nursing home 911's and transfermergencies.

we also have a mutual aid agreement with the city service(primarily bls). a lot of the calls we get from them are bs frequent fliers or other sub-emergent emergencies. but we do get real calls on occasion. some times accidentally, sometimes because they actually respect that we might know what we're doing.

Guitarplaya84

Forum Ride Along
try working in the ER for some of your time and trying doing a fly along. thats what i did and you get to see alot more. obviously the backend of the patient care vs. pre hospital report...

IdahoEMT

Forum Ride Along
Stonez,

Where in SA are you? I lived in PMB and Stellenbosch for a while. I married a South African girl and brought her back to the USA. She is just finishing here EMT-B training, and I am an EMT-B....

We run on a rural ambulance, and we get to see it all. While we have our fair share of nursing home-hospital, hospital-nursing home runs, we also get plenty of MVC, ATV accidents, logging accidents, even a few gunshots, etc....It's a great experience, since all we have are B's and I's....