Where to go to become a paramedic after emt-b?

ajsellaroli

Forum Probie
Hi, I'm taking an EMT-B class this summer (I'm 18 yrs old) at the local college, and I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what education above this is required to become a paramedic.

thanks!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You're EMT instructor should be able to provide you with the requirements for your state/area. Generally there are two options - you can enroll in a paramedic program that can last from a few months to two years, or you can enroll in a college and get your Associates Degree in Paramedicine.

omak42

Forum Crew Member
you also will need to take some prerequisites. Some programs include them as part of the paramedic course. But others will actually require that you have already taken them before enrolling. Usually they are anatomy and physiology. But ffemt is right, your instructor should be able to help you become familiar with the local programs.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
If you're already in college for something else, EMT-B may be as far that you can get. Paramedic requires a huge monetary and time commitment, one that I don't think you should make if you're in college for something totally different.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
actually, if you plan to make a career out of EMS and your in college for something else, I would switch to the medic program. I would spend the money on a medic program instead of college. Thats just me though.