Where should i start?

PirateMedic3

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I figure since i just became certified I should use my resources. My question is what route is the best to take now that I am certified. There are not many EMS only squads in this area and I don't medical transport to put me in a dead end job. Open ears here. Thanks

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, I figure since i just became certified I should use my resources. My question is what route is the best to take now that I am certified. There are not many EMS only squads in this area and I don't medical transport to put me in a dead end job. Open ears here. Thanks

While I should probably follow my own advice before advising others :glare: I think that working for an IFT company will look better on a resume to a 911 provider and thus make it easier to get on with them.

leoemt

Forum Captain

You need to start where you can and work for what you want. If you want 911 experience then you will most likely either need to get on with AMR or Rural Metro, etc. or a Fire dept.

Starting with an IFT company is a good start and if you are smart you will make the most of it. IFT companies can give you a lot of experience but you need to be proactive about it. Sitting around wheeling patients around is going to get old. But if you ask questions, talk to the patients and research their condition you can make it an educational experience. IFT companies can also get you extra training such as IV or airway endorsements.

911 calls are all about judgement based on your experience and training. What is causing the SOB in your PT? Is it COPD? CHF? a PE? Your ability to make these decisions will come from experience.

If you can get on with 911 great, but don't put off doing IFT either. 911 calls will never go away. If IFT is all you can get then so be it.