Where has commonsense gone?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
31: Keep checking vital signs; when you are doing 1 set at start of run, and the last set at the bed at the end of the run; and it is a 2 hour transport: DON'T be surprised when the patient is dead (and has been for awhile).

32: don't trust the machines: always do a manual set of vital signs

Right on! Thanks, it deserved getting the full treatment ;)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

33. You didn't (intentionally) hire idiots, did you? How do you expect them to act when you post them in their vehicle with nothing to do, on some parking lot, and then you start making rules like "No handheld video games", "No texting", "No naps", "Stay in the car". As an employer it is your right to do that, but what kind of employee is that going to retain, and what will the best ones do to circumvent you, besides quitting?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I don't care if the baby isn't breathing, if your a diabetic, or you just lit your brother on fire, if I don't know where you are, I can't send help.

I don't care if the baby was just shot by a stray bullet, or the assault victim is no longer breathing, until the cops secure the unsafe scene, EMS should be staging. Even if it takes an hour for them to show up.

Make sure you go home at the end of your shift.

34. First off, dispatchers need to get the location of the incident. Next, secure commo with the caller. Everything else can be worked out.

35. Make sure you go home at the end of your shift. Check out your rig, do the handoff, then GO HOME. Tomorrow's another day.

36. Not only are you not Repo Man, you are not Superman either. Be a medical professional and let LE and fire do their thing.

Howzat? ;)

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

38. If you need to ventilate a patient, you also need suction, airway, oxygen, and allied miscellany. Don't be starting one then grabbing or sending for the others, get them together and keep them together, complete, and in good repair.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

39. Once you splint someone you have accepted responsibility for their welfare (same as blindfolding).
39.a. A spineboard, KED etc is a splint with added limitations on treatment and the pt being able to control his/her own airway, breathing, and potential for claustrophobic panic.
39.a.1. IF a spineboard etc is a hard splint, why isn't it padded?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

40. No one remains unchanged. Take your refresher courses, you will lose a bunch of you basic class materials within MONTHS of the class ending and without correct reinforcement and feedback. Take new classes. Periodically consider whether or not your are burning out or ready for a change of profession.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

41. NEVER, EVER, even if subconsciously, pattern your behavior after a medical movie or TV show. Not only are they wrong, they are done so purposefully and consciously to make things more dramatic and exciting for the viewers, to accommodate camera angles, and are covered by background music. None of these are things your patient needs. If you do, then your patient doesn't need you.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
41. NEVER, EVER, even if subconsciously, pattern your behavior after a medical movie or TV show. Not only are they wrong, they are done so purposefully and consciously to make things more dramatic and exciting for the viewers, to accommodate camera angles, and are covered by background music. None of these are things your patient needs. If you do, then your patient doesn't need you.

Except for flipping the D50 caps like Johnny and Roy. That's a piece of nostalgia that must stay around.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Except for flipping the D50 caps like Johnny and Roy. That's a piece of nostalgia that must stay around.

+1

Trying to flip something into a garbage can is a timeless and universal tradition.

FireMedic82

Forum Probie
If you have more than 3 failed attempts of operating a push button stretcher while doing your Paramedic School Clinicals. Revert back to EMT-B school.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Wear gloves (and optimally a mask). If you dont wear gloves you are not a hard riding hero, you are just stupid.

So I only wear gloves if I need to... Generally have one on my left hand as a notepad and that's all.

Does that make me stupid?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

And these are pearls of wisdom? Sounds like nitpicking.

I think the point of the aphorism was that when you need to wear gloves, wear them.

And if you don't, and they are available, and you take MRSA or strep or E. Coli home, then, yes, you were a meathead (lacking commonsense).
bunkermikechair.gif

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

42. Wrap it in latex or give her your paychecks.
Thanks Robb.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

43. Check your tires. Even if it is just a look over. Ditto wiper blades, lights, glass (for cracks). When it's being fueled, click on the nozzle and walk around.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

44. When someone says something you think is wrong, ask a question instead of making a judgment. Use the word "I" instead of "You". You will get many potentially missed learning opportunities that way, including what some misconceptions are, some of which shall be yours.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
The GPS may or may not get you to the correct location. Use other resources that are available.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

45. The GPS may or may not get you to the correct location. Use other resources that are available.

Corollary to #45: The GPS may get you to the right location, but the directions you get may not be the fastest, most efficient route there

Last edited by a moderator: