When to call for ALS Backup

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Would Epi be good for this particular pt., given the hypertension?
No, not so much due to the hypertension (which in anaphylaxis is usually low) but that it is probably more a drug reaction than anaphylaxis. Although, if it was NTG the pressure maybe low as well. Benadryl, steroids has better outcome and I personally use epinephrine on true case of anaphylaxis.

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Better to have than have not.......

I call to get the big guns there, better to have them cancel on scene then having the patient crump on you then call for ALS........ That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

YouthCorps1

Forum Probie
well first of all...a BP like that isnt normal even if you DO have hypertension. anything relating to medication should have an ALS intercept, as well as c/p due to a potential problem being cardiac-related. i think you did the right thing...just remember...

NEVER DO ANYTHING YOU WOULDN'T WANNA EXPLAIN TO THE PARAMEDICS!!!:rolleyes:;)B)

poppawilly

Forum Probie
i for one am not above calling for als backup if i think the patients condition warrants it. i work for a fire/ems service in rural oklahoma. on my crew, we have three basics and one intermediate. it just so happens our intermediate is our shift commander and getting him to run on a call after midnight takes a act of congress.

for example, we get a 0400hrs call on a diabetic patient who is unresponsive. the shift commander takes the call but yet elects to send out the bls crew. once we arrive on scene, the patient is laying in bed and is out. will not even respond to verbal stimuli but grunts to painful stimuli. we check the blood sugar with glucometer and get a rediculous high reading. so we call back to the station and have our als guy come out to push some D50. when he arrived, he did his job but it was obvious he was not happy about being there.

i believe my als guy has been in the business for a while and doesn't like to take calls. someitmes, i question if he will even show up when the big one comes in. in the event he doesn't, i do know other intermediates and paramedics numbers from other crews i will not hesitate to call if needed. i am a fresh new basic and if i feel i am in a pinch, i'm calling someone and could care less what time it is. this may change in time with experience but for now, i'm not taking chances. patient care is my highest priority and i will go above and beyond to better their chances of survival.

reaper

Working Bum
i for one am not above calling for als backup if i think the patients condition warrants it. i work for a fire/ems service in rural oklahoma. on my crew, we have three basics and one intermediate. it just so happens our intermediate is our shift commander and getting him to run on a call after midnight takes a act of congress.

for example, we get a 0400hrs call on a diabetic patient who is unresponsive. the shift commander takes the call but yet elects to send out the bls crew. once we arrive on scene, the patient is laying in bed and is out. will not even respond to verbal stimuli but grunts to painful stimuli. we check the blood sugar with glucometer and get a rediculous high reading. so we call back to the station and have our als guy come out to push some D50. when he arrived, he did his job but it was obvious he was not happy about being there.

i believe my als guy has been in the business for a while and doesn't like to take calls. someitmes, i question if he will even show up when the big one comes in. in the event he doesn't, i do know other intermediates and paramedics numbers from other crews i will not hesitate to call if needed. i am a fresh new basic and if i feel i am in a pinch, i'm calling someone and could care less what time it is. this may change in time with experience but for now, i'm not taking chances. patient care is my highest priority and i will go above and beyond to better their chances of survival.

Why are you wanting D50 for a high BGL reading?

I think you meant to say that his BGL was low?

Brooks416

Forum Probie
State by State

This is where state protocols come in. In Maine basics can check blood sugar and administer glucose

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This is where state protocols come in. In Maine basics can check blood sugar and administer glucose

I believe the question is regarding giving more sugar to a hyperglycemic pt. While that's generally protocol if you are unable to determine if the sugar is high or low to give oral glucose, if you know the BGL is high, you would not give D5W.