"When I get a little money I buy books...

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
...and if any is left I buy food and clothes." (Erasmus)

After obtaining some very part-time/volunteer EMS work with a view of gaining experience and generally improving upon my extraordinary natural talent while awaiting my triumphant return to full-time work ;), it occurred to me that having money also would be helpful for such things as rent, groceries, etc. I was unfortunately unable to locate any government grants for struggling young paramedics. So, I went and got a job at my local grocer's, where the worst foreseeable event is dropping a customer's groceries. ("There's blood everywhere! Oh wait, sorry, tomato sauce. And that brain matter might actually be cauliflower.") I start tomorrow and since I'm feeling prematurely flush with disposable income, it seems a good time to update my wish list, which is ...books, basically. And avocados.

Since the average EMTLifer seems to be better read in this field than most persons on the street, I thought that I might prevail upon some of you to review what science/medicine/EMS books have entertained and engaged you in the past. I have a few picked out to order, namely Goldberger's Clinical Electrocardiography and possibly Sherwood's Human Physiology. I'm currently (slowly) enjoying the PHTLS curriculum and and an introductory chemistry book from the library. One area that's been particularly problematic, resource-wise, has been pharmacology, so if I get one good pharm recommendation out of this thread, I shall consider it a win. :)

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Pharmacology for nursing care is a really good book ( don't discredit it because it's nursing). Also just buy the old edition (7th). The information
shouldn't have changed that much.

It has the perfect amount of depth and concentrates more on drug classes than the individual drugs (but does have that too)

You're educational roadmap should look like this: basic sciences->
Anatomy and physiology, ->pathophysiology and pharmo

Always have a good physiology book for reference, don't underestimate resources on youtube like med cram and khan academy (don't overvalue them either). After the above, then just peruse interests and always take the time to look up something you are unsure of