Wheelchair Vans

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I was just wondering how many people here work for an agency that has wheelchair vans, and what are your though's on certified people having to run wheelchair calls.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
I was just wondering how many people here work for an agency that has wheelchair vans, and what are your though's on certified people having to run wheelchair calls.

I didn't mind it. Pay me to ride around in a W/C and have fun with for the most part are Pts. that only are going to a Dr. Appt. No stress. I used to think it was a good break.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I think w/c vans should have EMT's or higher on them, after all, what if the person just going to the doc for a checkup crashes...plus as jeep said it would be a nice break for some of us who run a lot of calls in a shift.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Our service found that it wasn't profitable to run wheelchair vans. At the time they were staffed by a CPR/First Aid trained individual.

I see no need or reason to have them staffed by higher trained individuals. If EMS was needed then EMS was called. I see the wheelchair van as a taxi service for people in wheelchairs... nothing more.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Matt, the trouble with that is here all the w/c vans are operated by rescue squads or private EMS providers. And here if you are a licensed EMS service running w/c van and someone has a bad outcome, then you can (and prolly will be) sued. And the way jurors are these days they might left the patients family win a bunch of money!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Our service found that it wasn't profitable to run wheelchair vans. At the time they were staffed by a CPR/First Aid trained individual.

I see no need or reason to have them staffed by higher trained individuals. If EMS was needed then EMS was called. I see the wheelchair van as a taxi service for people in wheelchairs... nothing more.

I totally agree! Why break up a perfectly good staffed truck to run wheelchairs! What a waist! As I recall, when we were all going through classes for EMS, weather it was Basic, or whatever, we did not put in all that time and studying to get stuck on a wheelchair van.

Two of the agencies I used to work for was famous for breaking up a perfectly good ALS staffed truck to run wheelchairs. One of those angencies used to run a Paramedic on the Wheelchair Van all day!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My service used to put Paramedics on the wheelchair vans all the time. Our wheelchair van drivers even made a few dollars more an hour than EMT-Bs.

I don't understand why we stopped offering the service, only because I think it's good to offer hospitals and nursing homes a one-stop source for transportation, but it's been more than a year since 'ole wheelie made the rounds.

prizonmedik

Forum Probie
I like the WCV. Same money, Less Stress. I ride around listenting to radio.........

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
We have a couple. You don't have to be an EMT to drive 'em. As many companies providing the service as there are here, doing so would be impossible.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
have driven the wcv as a full time job, then as ot after getting my basic. two completely different worlds:

pre basic:"this sucks. all day i drive around and pick up these people and run them back and forth to the doctors or dialysis. back and forth all day. paperwork. i have nobody to talk to. i hate this job"

post basic: i love this! same money less work. i dont actually have to pick these people up, i have a hydraulic ramp to do that. paperwork couldnt be simpler. all i ahve to do is dr appts and dialysis. no mva's no trauma no blood. i dont have to talk to anybody. i love this job!!!!!"

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
AMR has a W/C vans for the patients that need dr. appointments, dialysis runs. If a patient should run into trouble i.e. post dialysis springs a leak, The drivers can call for a 911 car to take care of businnes. :)

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Trauma you forget that Prizonmedic, Fedmedic and I were the paramedics on the WC vans. We could respond to asst. a BLS truck if they needed it at any time. I still miss those days riding around listening to Bob and the Showgram getting paid. It was nice.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
My service used to put Paramedics on the wheelchair vans all the time. Our wheelchair van drivers even made a few dollars more an hour than EMT-Bs.

I don't understand why we stopped offering the service, only because I think it's good to offer hospitals and nursing homes a one-stop source for transportation, but it's been more than a year since 'ole wheelie made the rounds.

paramedic on a wheelchair van is an absolute disgrace. This proves we don't get the respect we deserve.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
paramedic on a wheelchair van is an absolute disgrace. This proves we don't get the respect we deserve.

I don't see the disgrace or disrespect here. I did it and enjoyed the time to myself. Also could respond to more calls this way. I would bewilling to bet you have never done it.

OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I don't see the disgrace or disrespect here. I did it and enjoyed the time to myself. Also could respond to more calls this way. I would bewilling to bet you have never done it.

Now, I don't see it as a disgrace, I just see it as a waiste of good staffing to put them on the "take granny to dialysis" calls.

I have a reason for why I feel this way. It also opens that provider up for liability. I had a patient one time who went unresponsive in my WCV. I had nothing to work with. I was out in the middle of BFE, and my radio didn't reach out to base, and my cell phone had no signal. It was a known diabetic, but I had nothing to work with. All I could do is get back there, move the wheelchair away from them, lay them flat on the floor, and haul arse. I finally got communication access, and I was told to call 911 for Rescue to meet me enroute to the ER. It was a nightmare. There I was with this guy in my van who was unresponsive and laying on the floore with nothing to secure him, what if I had been hit. My patient was not properly secured. What if he had coded while he was laying back there, and I was busy driving. I mean it was just a nightmare.

We had another medic who was driving a WCV, and thier patient coded. We didn't even have a BVM or anything on that truck.

That's why I feel that way.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief

Wow, how did you guess that?

Listen, if you like taking time off to be a taxi driver, that's fine with me. The fact they would put a paramedic on a wheelchair taxi is insulting. It's like saying "hey trauma surgeon, would you mind working as an X-ray tech today, I think you would enjoy the time to yourself"...that's crazy!

Also, since I believe every ambulance should be staffed with at least 1 paramedic, I don't think your "I can respond to more calls" is valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

trauma1534

Forum Captain
Wow, how did you guess that?

Listen, if you like taking time off to be a taxi driver, that's fine with me. The fact they would put a paramedic on a wheelchair taxi is insulting. It's like saying "hey trauma surgeon, would you mind working as an X-ray tech today, I think you would enjoy the time to yourself"...that's crazy!

I think that is just a matter of opinion. I guess if that trauma surgen got paid the same either way, he might not mind!

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
This really speaks to the ridiculously low pay paramedics get...thanks for strengthening my argument.

Hey bud I've made over 60K this year. A that does not include one trip on a ambulance. And I am a paramedic.