What's your favorite type of call?

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
Just out of curiosity...what's your favorite type of call?

I tend to prefer orthopedic-type trauma - anything involving broken bones makes me happy. LOL A friend from EMT school was always grossed out by the sound of crepitus...but not me. I love a good ortho trauma. Maybe it's because I can't legally take the ALS calls, but I really enjoy the ortho ones, even if they are fairly simple most of the time.

My partner loves fire stand bys (he's also with the fire dept...) and medical calls. We both like diagnosing the patients.

So what's your favorite?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I like patients who walk to the rig.

I love patients even more when I can convince the fire dept/rescue squad to carry the patient into the rig for me.

I love patients who 1. are throwing up. 2. lost control of their bowels 3. are throwing up and lost control of their bowels

NJN

The Young One
I like patients who walk to the rig.

Same with me. Sometimes small lacerations are nice, when the bleeding is manageable. And there are always the few frequent fliers (most of whom are of the intoxicated sort), who walk to the rig after falling down, getting small lacerations, and getting back up. Who always enjoy a good laugh, and know where they go and start walking to their room before you do.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Impending respiratory failure for any reason. I'll be all over that faster than you can spit.

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
I like healthy people who do not need my help. I get to sit in station and do nothing and get paid for it while nobody suffers.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Today, my favorite calls were when circumstances were so overwhelming, I gave up and something Else took over, using me as a vehicle. i.e.when I had two patients in their twenties, critical from a car wreck, 1/2 hr. to the hospital, EMT partner and the circumstances were so overwhelming, I gave up and something Else took over, using me as a vehicle. They lived (and actually flourished). Thank God!

Back then they were the ones where I got to step into a world nobody else got to see, anything from deserted beaches to military installations to movie star homes.

certguy

Forum Captain
Favorite calls

Hey Firetender ,
Face it , god put you in the right place , at the right time , and with the right skills and gear to help save two people . Great feeling isn't it ? Congrats ! Way cool !

As for favorite calls , in my younger days , I was an adrenaline junkie . I loved a good trauma and saw a lot . My first partner however , was the exact
opposite . She was perfectly content with running interfacitities ( we called them poo - tie calls ) all day long and hate running code . This drove me nuts . Needless to say , the first time I got to drive code 3 with her ( an MCI - hotel fire in downtown San Diego ) was real interesting .

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
I love bloody traumas most, but also like unconscious calls, and codes. Probably just the adrenaline junkie in me :p

Asclepius

Forum Lieutenant
I like non-emergency intra-facility transfers....oh wait, I don't have to be politically correct on here do I?

I like the calls that push me to my limits and make me think about what is really going on with this patient. Be it trauma or medical, if it takes me out of the mundane and turns me into a detective, I love it.

I tend to also like trauma. Maybe because it's high stress, golden hour, load and go type stuff. These are the patients that you can do something for most of the time and walk away with the feeling that you saved someone.

Full arrests? Let's face it, we don't get as many of those to live as we do trauma or other medical calls. They're high stress, but basically you only have to follow an algorithm to get by. Not a great deal of thinking outside the box with these patients.

I also like the calls when your partner is also a paramedic or at the very least a seasoned intermediate. On those high stress, do or dye, type calls, it helps to not have to be the only one who can do ALS interventions.

medic8613

Forum Crew Member
Call me an action junky (its true), but I would have to say cardiac arrest calls are my favorite. Even though they are very easy calls, and 99% of the time I know exactly what to do, and when to do it, they are still exciting because we have to move at a much faster pace than we normally do. And its always a great day when you make a save like that.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I once had a preceptor teach me that the BEST call is a Recall!

I try to hold to that principal

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I like the ones that they can tell me thank you or I know that my actions some how (medically or emotionally by just being there) made a difference.

After the newness wears off, one realizes that our true job is to handle the situation and crisis that the caller cannot.

R/r 911

Hastings

Noobie
Psych.

God, I hate trauma.

Anything interesting medical call that isn't immediately obvious.

SVT and related are always favourites.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
my favorite calls are the one I run. I hate doing calls under supervision of a preceptor.

kiwimedic

Forum Probie
I'd say a VT/VF cardiac arrest.

-CPR
-Check pulse
-Shock
-Drugs
-CPR

and round and round it goes .... :rolleyes:

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I once had a preceptor teach me that the BEST call is a Recall!

I try to hold to that principal

Thats true until you have had five in a row-- all between 2 and 3AM as you are trying to sleep (during the winter)... You get toned out, bundled up, out the door, into the ambulance, down the street and you hear RECALL. So you turn around, park, de-bundle, and go back to sleep, only to hear you tones go off just as you go to sleep... I once had 7 recalls in a row-- within a 3 hour period.

I'd have to say my favorite call is anytime I learn something new and have a hand in treatment. I'm still at the point that every day comes with new surprises.

MICU

Forum Crew Member
All the cardiac and raspiratory calls are fine with me...
PALS is one the most intersting subjects as well:)

CPR might be nice but it's to much routine'ish'...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
paccookie

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
I like the ones that they can tell me thank you or I know that my actions some how (medically or emotionally by just being there) made a difference.

After the newness wears off, one realizes that our true job is to handle the situation and crisis that the caller cannot.

R/r 911

I love those. It's always nice when the patient or the family appreciates what we do and it's even better when you know that you've made a difference in their lives in some way, even if it's small.