Whats the most you have made in a year?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not the authority on this, check here. http://www.collegeofparamedics.sk.ca/

I checked the SCoP site. So Sask also uses the EMT deignation. I had originally thought that sask used the following designations
PCP
ICP
ACP

Looks like I was mistaken.

Looking at the SCoP site it almost reminds of ACoP. Looking at that it appears the EMTB would probably be at the EMR level.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Sask actually uses both sets if only because we have some from the old designations and others with the new and updated training. For example our EMT can not insert a King tube, but a PCP can. Soon the PCP will be able to initiate an IV, but the EMT will not. Same basic level, same pay scale, but the EMTs are the older ones who chose not to upgrde to PCP.

Anyone wanting to enhance their education beyond the EMT level must take the PCP bridge course before being accepted to ACP training.

EMT-A and ICP are essentially the same,
EMT-P and ACP are also currently the same, but there may be changes that would enhance the ACP but leave the older EMT-P designation unenhanced.

Honestly, it's a pain in the ***, the school teaches PCP and ACP, but the College of Paramedics (registration and regulation body, not a school) won't call them that because they would have to follow the NOCP. Since our current PCP and ACP scope doesn't quite live up to the NOCP, the College sticks with the old format.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Sask actually uses both sets if only because we have some from the old designations and others with the new and updated training. For example our EMT can not insert a King tube, but a PCP can. Soon the PCP will be able to initiate an IV, but the EMT will not. Same basic level, same pay scale, but the EMTs are the older ones who chose not to upgrde to PCP.

Anyone wanting to enhance their education beyond the EMT level must take the PCP bridge course before being accepted to ACP training.

EMT-A and ICP are essentially the same,
EMT-P and ACP are also currently the same, but there may be changes that would enhance the ACP but leave the older EMT-P designation unenhanced.

Honestly, it's a pain in the ***, the school teaches PCP and ACP, but the College of Paramedics (registration and regulation body, not a school) won't call them that because they would have to follow the NOCP. Since our current PCP and ACP scope doesn't quite live up to the NOCP, the College sticks with the old format.

Sounds like SCoP is taking the lead from ACoP on the designations.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Pretty much on everything, not just the designations. SCoP recognises the PCP, ICP, ACP combos though as being a different education level than EMT, EMT-A, and EMT-P.

Read the constitution and bylaws and all that's different is the Letter "S" replacing the letter "A" in ACoP.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
The current base wage for our medics is $30.268/hr, tack on my $5.00/hr rural retention and recruitment incentive and daily standby pay, our medics make a base wage of just a hair over $74,000/year. Overtime is in the area of about 30 hours a month, so a medic could see about $90k/ year give or take.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
The current base wage for our medics is $30.268/hr, tack on my $5.00/hr rural retention and recruitment incentive and daily standby pay, our medics make a base wage of just a hair over $74,000/year. Overtime is in the area of about 30 hours a month, so a medic could see about $90k/ year give or take.

What service is this? and is that good pay for the cost of living?

crazycajun

Forum Captain

Yes but considering the amount of taxes you pay, average cost of a home, (my home is 3200 Sq Ft 5/4 6 mos old and cost 194K), average cost of living it equals about 40K here. Our basics start at 35K so I think I am in a better place.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Yes but considering the amount of taxes you pay, average cost of a home, (my home is 3200 Sq Ft 5/4 6 mos old and cost 194K), average cost of living it equals about 40K here. Our basics start at 35K so I think I am in a better place.

I was gonna type up a whole comparison here, but why bother. We do pay more taxes, but we also get more government services. We pay more for a house, but we also get more when we sell our house. Anyone who actually wants to do the research can do so, but we fare well up here.

Besides, you are welcome to stay in your better place, it's not as though I was trying to recruit anyone, I was just answering the topic of the thread.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I was gonna type up a whole comparison here, but why bother. We do pay more taxes, but we also get more government services. We pay more for a house, but we also get more when we sell our house. Anyone who actually wants to do the research can do so, but we fare well up here.

Besides, you are welcome to stay in your better place, it's not as though I was trying to recruit anyone, I was just answering the topic of the thread.

What Government services?

mspazz

Forum Probie

Does your company offer relocation services? I'm a volunteer right now as I live in a rural area and no hospital's will hire basics, just medics. I am trying to take my Medic ASAP, though.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
Is this before or after our lovely mandatory government deductions??

BEorP

Forum Captain

My competely unsceicntific Canadaian-American comparison from another thread is copied below. Instead of trying to factor in cost of living, we can look at it from a perspective of comparing EMS wages to the average:

We'll leave taxes out of the discussion, since as you mentioned these are then used for services that don't need to be paid out of pocket. Let's just look at trying to compare EMS provider income between Canada and the US, specifically looking at Ontario and Michigan.

In 2001, average personal income in Michigan was $29,788 (according to this, I didn't see more current numbers than this, but presumably it has increased since then). In 2008, median personal income in Ontario was $29,700 (according to this). So let's just say that the median personal income in both Ontario and Michigan is somewhere in the ballpark of $30,000.

So what does an EMS provider in Michigan make? My completely unscientific source (Indeed.com) says $36,000 for an EMT and $56,000 for an EMT-P. And what about a PCP in Ontario? At $33 an hour, it would end up being around $66,000, and more for an ACP.

So even if we forget everything else and just compare the EMS provider wage to the average for the area, it looks like Ontario paramedics are doing better. I am not trying to rub this in anyone's face or anything like that, but the issues of cost of living, taxes, etc. are often raised when comparing American to international EMS wages and since I did a bit of digging I thought I would share. Obviously this is just using whatever numbers I have found and they may or may not be entirely accurate.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I'm at 105k at pay period 21 out of 26. Last year I totalled 105k.

For cost of living, my house is 5B 2 1/2 BA, 3200 SF, 1600 SF basement, .3 acre, principal/interest $1400.50/month at 4.25%, $1820/month total w/ taxes and insurance, 3.5% down FHA. 49 miles from work.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'm at 105k at pay period 21 out of 26. Last year I totalled 105k.

For cost of living, my house is 5B 2 1/2 BA, 3200 SF, 1600 SF basement, .3 acre, principal/interest $1400.50/month at 4.25%, $1820/month total w/ taxes and insurance, 3.5% down FHA. 49 miles from work.

:)

90 miles from work those housing numbers are much lower, lol.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

90 miles from work those housing numbers are much lower, lol.

That's what I'm hearing. The thing is, I was previously 80 miles from work, and I traded up to be at the closest station to where I live. I couldn't do 90 miles each way unless my dept. went to a 24/72. Actually, if I get stuck at rt. 1 at some point in my career, that would be over 90 miles, and fighting traffic every day on the way home. That would suck.

DigDugDude

Forum Crew Member
arctickat!

Our basics make 48k and that's before overtime, you could probably add about 10 - 15% for overtime.

Anyone looking for work? I have openings.

hey! i got dual citizenship with canada an was thinkin of heading back to the motherland mind throwin me a PM? i got a couple questions!