What's next for me? (Training)

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys,

So I'm sort of at a roadblock here, I'm currently a college student here in the US (I'm an international student). I'm the type of person that is always looking to further my knowledge and skills. However here's the situation:

I'm currently a wilderness first responder/EMR with certifications in ACLS, BLS, PHTLS, ARC First Aid, CPR/AED Instructor, ARC Lifeguard.

I'm working to bring an EMT course into my college which hopefully will be able to happen by next year. I don't have the option of taking it back home (Hong Kong) or driving some place else to do so because I don't have a car/I don't have time.

I've recently joined an EMS Explorer's Post here in my town and through that have been getting some refreshing on lots of skills that I learnt some time ago which is great.

I'm an international student so I can't technically be hired outside of the college and I would love to be more involved in EMS if I could. Ambulance service here also doesn't take volunteers.

So I guess without being able to do too much practical experience short of ridingalong (which I am doing, once a week, I have around 7 shifts secured), I'm hoping to maybe take more classes to learn more/keep my skills up.

That was quite a long winded way to ask the question but what should I go for next?

I'm thinking PALS but I'm out of ideas, I'm open to practical classes and/or online classes.

Thanks! I appreciate your input! Any ideas to be more involved in EMS in some way or another will also be greatly appreciated.

(I'm also actually pre-med but I am not doing this because it gives me a good resume, I truly enjoy pre-hospital care and have been drawn by it for a long time. I've only recently been able to be more involved with ridealongs.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Take a P.E.P.P. class. Pediatric Education for Prehospital Providers. Excellent course that covers alot of ground and will give you some great ways to perform an appropriate rapid assessment on a child.

Also a NRP Neonatal Resuscitation would be a great one for you

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
IvanD

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! I will look into that.

Also FYI, I'm open to all courses, not just peds. I just want to learn more however I can while waiting for my EMT class...

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah i only suggested the Pepp and nrp as you have all the other weekend card courses already. Ics 100, 200, 700 and 800 and Hazmat courses would also be great