What would you do if a person vomited, and choked on their own vomit and became

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
unconscious, and you have no suction device.
Youre only a bystander. Im pretty this can be a pretty reasonable party scenario.

You have no suction device, and its vomit in their mouth with chunks and they're unconscious.

Do you turn them over to get vomit out of their mouth, or use FBAO procedures?

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
I can tell you what I'm not going to do......evacuate their oral cavity manually....put them on their left side until the proper equipment arrives.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
There's probably an empty beer bottle in the vicinity... use the narrow neck to scoop out the puke while the individual is on their side.

After calling 911 to get appropriate assistance on their way, of course. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Call 911 and assist them in getting proper emergency care.

No barrier device or other appropriate PPE, then they're on their own until EMS arrives.

Besides, if this occurs at a party and I've been drinking, there is no way in hell I'm getting involved.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
No barrier device or other appropriate PPE, then they're on their own until EMS arrives.

Besides, if this occurs at a party and I've been drinking, there is no way in hell I'm getting involved.

Depends on if I know the person or not. I'll help a friend (well, most of my friends) or family member bare-handed anyday. A stranger... not so much (at all).

I'm also not a big drinker, so I'm not going to be drunk myself. I don't really like alcohol (just don't like the taste), so I wouldn't have the "I'm intoxicated I shouldn't be helping" issue.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
. I don't really like alcohol (just don't like the taste), so I wouldn't have the "I'm intoxicated I shouldn't be helping" issue.

If I'm fairly intoxicated, likelihood of me helping out bare handed in somebody's mouth would go up, theoretically.

Personally, turn them on their side. If I know for a fact they aspirated vomit, call 911. Maybe they've just had a little too much, I'm not goin to jump to calling 911.

The scenario stated says that they choked on their vomit then became unconscious... Are we talking legitimately choking and unconscious (CPR), or passed out drunk and threw up.

I'd evaluate the situation. We don't want our friend to be the drunk call we all despise on shift.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I teach this in basic first aid/CPR/AED. OP, tell us what you are aiming at?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Find a vacuum........

feldy

Forum Captain
if the person has aspirated...turn them on their side quickly. It is very easy for the persons condition to go south if they keep aspirating on their own vomit. I cant tell you how many codes ive worked as a result.