What skills should be solidified before applying to Medic School?

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
Howdy guys,

I've seen all the schools of thought on the classic "When should I go on to Medic school" question. For me, I subscribe to the belief that I need to solidify my skills and be comfortable with being a guy on an ambulance, treating patients, before I have to take it to the next level. I understand I need a strong foundation.

So here's my question: What is that foundation? What skills, specifically, do you think should be concrete before moving up? What should I become an expert in, and how do I get there? What books should I read, what studies should I look at, articles, etc? I think this would be a good thread to compile a "How-to: Get better at your job" guide. Haha...thanks guys :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Howdy guys,

I've seen all the schools of thought on the classic "When should I go on to Medic school" question. For me, I subscribe to the belief that I need to solidify my skills and be comfortable with being a guy on an ambulance, treating patients, before I have to take it to the next level. I understand I need a strong foundation.

So here's my question: What is that foundation? What skills, specifically, do you think should be concrete before moving up? What should I become an expert in, and how do I get there? What books should I read, what studies should I look at, articles, etc? I think this would be a good thread to compile a "How-to: Get better at your job" guide. Haha...thanks guys :)

A good A & P (with a lab) course and med term will help. Assessment, assessment and more assessment. Understanding differentials at your level. Those will also help. PEPP is useful...I can think of a number of ways to give yourself and edge.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Things people should take before paramedic school
-A & P
-Pathophysiology
-Biochemistry
-Statistics
-Ethics
-Physics

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think that a history and physical exam is hands down the most important skill any provider can possess.

Unfortunately to really be good at it, you need a considerable academic background in basic and clinical science.

It is both foolish and impossible to try to simply equate outward physical findings with diseases as many have the same signs and symptoms but considerably different pathophysiology and therefore different treatment.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Education and a strong cognitive foundation of knowledge are what should be solidified first not skills

Biochemistry
Physics
A&P
Scientific research method
Pharmacology

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The pre-req for physics is calculus, are you suggesting a medic needs calculus?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

All the schools I have attended have had "physics for healthcare providers" or a similar named course. It covered basic physics that are applicable to healthcare fields and covered them in ways that were applicable. Like crystal structres in ultrasound.

There is no reason that a paramedic cannot benefit from such a class. I don't see them requiring a more classical physics though.

Like I say, the best education includes being taught how to apply the theory.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Actually most schools offer an algebra based physics. The only folks I've seen at the several schools I've taken classes at that are explicitly required to take calc-based physics generally are engineering students or physics majors.

However, having a calculus requirement surely could not hurt. It would be one way of keeping the firefighters out of our profession.

Like crystal structres in ultrasound.

Just for the record, I :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing hate acoustical physics.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think that a history and physical exam is hands down the most important skill any provider can possess.

Unfortunately to really be good at it, you need a considerable academic background in basic and clinical science.

It is both foolish and impossible to try to simply equate outward physical findings with diseases as many have the same signs and symptoms but considerably different pathophysiology and therefore different treatment.

Agreed. And judging from my physical assessment class in nursing school, you can try to teach it in a semester, but that's just a ridiculous undertaking.

Many, many patients, with good teachers with high expectations are the only help for the process.

AMF

Forum Crew Member
It's actually not all that ridiculous. Besides, if high school seniors are take four semesters of calculus, I think paramedics can manage one.

It's about the critical thinking, regardless, not the application. Though many schools use it as a weed-out class.

Symbolic

Forum Crew Member
Calculus/Physics in EMS? I think that's way overkill and wouldn't waste a dime. A&P and basic level biology/chemistry classes are more practical. But all that depends on whether or not your program even requires any of that. Mine did not require anything, but having college credits helped applicants score higher during the entrance process.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Calculus/Physics in EMS? I think that's way overkill and wouldn't waste a dime. A&P and basic level biology/chemistry classes are more practical.
You do realize that most of biology is really chemistry, a significant portion of chemistry is physics, and physics is...math.

But all that depends on whether or not your program even requires any of that. Mine did not require anything, but having college credits helped applicants score higher during the entrance process.
The whole point here is going beyond the minimum. I don't have the basic science courses I should, and have been very handicapped because of it.