what should I know about the Basic Emt course

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I am new to EMTLIFE. I am going to start my EMT B course Jan 31. and I was just wandering what I should know going in? I am 32 years old kind of a late start does age really matter? I haven't been too college since I was about early twenties and I didn't do so well. I really need to get a decent job and I am VERY active and I have always LOVED the medical field and I have always known that I would always end up doing something with medicine. I guess my realy question is are there any suprises in the course and what should I expect. Thank you for any of your help.:)

djm0219

Forum Probie
I am going to start my EMT B course Jan 31. and I was just wandering what I should know going in? I am 32 years old kind of a late start does age really matter?

32 isn't late at all, I took my EMT-B class when I was 52 :) Review/read the chapters in your book ahead of time so if you have questions you may ask them in class. You'll be fine believe me.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I had an 82 year old student once. No worries on the age. Beyond that, if you can read, repeat and follow basic instructions, you will be fine. The class textbooks are written at something like a 4th to 6th grade reading level so you can judge for yourself the difficulty of the material.

Azarias

Forum Probie
I sure hope 32 isn't too old...I'm about to take the class this month lol. And as for the book, I picked mine up yesterday and started reading a little of it and I agree with usafmedic. Not too terribly difficult at all. Good luck!

Tommerag

What day is it?
As long your paying attention in class you'll do fine. Instead of taking full out notes I wrote down the topic we were talking about and what page it was on and would go reread it. It's not really a difficult class as long as you go to class and pay attention.

OP
OP

911sweetie

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all your help. That has answered alot of my worries. Expecially about if i could actually pass the course. All of your answers has eased my mind. Thankyou for everyone who has replied.:)

akrall83

Forum Probie
Make sure to do your reading (and homework if you have it). A lot of people in my class just copied the answers out of the back of the book and then bombed the tests because they didn't know the material. When you do your clinical/ride along hours jump in and do as much as they will let you and ask questions, you'll learn more that way :)