What made you get into EMS?

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
As I prepare to start EMT school at Trident, I was curious what drove you to get into EMS??

Was it witnessing a medic working?? Wanting to help others?? The money?? :p

For me, it was a drive to help people. It's something I've always wanted to do and since I am incredibly fascinated by the medical world....it fit.

So how about you....

-Matt

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I am for the most part a volunteer. So the money is out. However I am beginning to get paid shifts. The money isn't good.

I got in because I thought it looked on a college application. Now its becoming a career.

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
I got into it because while in the law enforcement setting i had a child drown. I didnt know what to do or how to deal with it. So i went I got my first responder...then went to EMT school. I feel in love with it during clinicals. Since then I have responded to another child drowning and it was a code save. I guess you can say at least the first child didnt die in vein.

brassguy

Forum Crew Member
The reason I got into EMS was I was always very sick as a child (the paramedics in my town knew me by name) and I have always wanted to give back and help people! Been wanting to do it since age 7! Can not wait till I am actually in the field (I have to wait to recieve my license from the state of IL before I apply!!!!!! :( )

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have always had friends/significant others/family members around me that have either been military, PD, FD, or EMS. When I met my husband, about 9 years ago, he suggested to me that I go to EMT school and do it for myself. It came very easy to me, and I was hooked after that very first clinical. I've been doing it ever since, and have finally gotten my butt in gear to go to medic school. I should have done it a long time ago!

s1080

Forum Probie
I got interested in ems when I was a raft guide where bandaging people up became almost a daily task on the Chattooga. Took my emt b class, finally found a job and now i cant wait for my emt-i class to start.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
how did I really get inot EMS? Well there was a girl, a mule and some handcuffs involved. I really don't remeber that well.

RescueShirts.com

Forum Crew Member
The occupational handbook (that I was browsing through) at the library kept opening to the page on EMS.

Yes... pretty sad to think I was in the library, reading through a government produced book, shopping for a career.

I called the numbers listed for both JEMS and EMS magazine... requested sample copies... and when they arrived... I was instantly hooked!

17+ years later... I am still hooked.

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I can say there was a girl involved. Once upon a time, I was engaged to a young lady who was a FF/EMT-B. Was a natural transition since I was a lifeguard.

emtskibum

Forum Probie
i got into ems because it will fit nicely with my Athletic Training Degree. and iv made the switch from ski instructor to ski patrol.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
As I just want to help people and I maintain very well under pressure.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The money. Then I had even wider eyes and moved up in the world.. I teach in the public schools :)

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
I wanted a job that wasnt behind a desk 9-5 M-F. i wanted to WANT to get up when the alarm clock went off at the behind crack of dawn. i guess it didnt hurt that my dad and grandfather were both combat medics in the military. years of listening to my dad tell stories had me hooked as a kid, and i just went that direction.

medic5740

Forum Crew Member
An Accident when I was a teenager

I got into first aid and CPR more than forty years ago as a teenager after coming upon a rollover accident on my way home from a Civil Air Patrol meeting. I was riding with my CAP commander, and we came upon this accident involving a mom and three kids. The mom was crying and screaming, "Help my kids!" I didn't know what to do. I vowed right then and there to get all the training I could. I DIDN'T EVER want to feel that helpless again. I lost track of that goal when I graduated high school and college, but got back into helping people about twenty years ago when I licensed as an EMT. Now, as a paramedic, I am still not always sure what the best treatment may be, and I continue to learn from every patient contact. If I ever stop learning, or yearning to learn, then I'll give it up.

Did anyone else ever feel as helpless as I did? How about after getting an EMT license? or a medic license?

emtskibum

Forum Probie
I got into first aid and CPR more than forty years ago as a teenager after coming upon a rollover accident on my way home from a Civil Air Patrol meeting. I was riding with my CAP commander, and we came upon this accident involving a mom and three kids. The mom was crying and screaming, "Help my kids!" I didn't know what to do. I vowed right then and there to get all the training I could. I DIDN'T EVER want to feel that helpless again. I lost track of that goal when I graduated high school and college, but got back into helping people about twenty years ago when I licensed as an EMT. Now, as a paramedic, I am still not always sure what the best treatment may be, and I continue to learn from every patient contact. If I ever stop learning, or yearning to learn, then I'll give it up.

Did anyone else ever feel as helpless as I did? How about after getting an EMT license? or a medic license?

today i actually felt helpless, and im still affected by it. im down in florida to leave on a cruise tomorrow, and as my taxi filled w/ my family pulled onto 95, right before the on ramp was a horrible mva w/ a suv on its roof. it had just happened, and no responders were on scene. I felt helpless watching us drive by and not stopping, even asking for the van to stop, but was denied. i understand i had no equipment with me, but still. watching the overturned suv slip away behind the van was a sombering sight, one i will never forget.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Basically narrowed it down to military, be undecided at a university or become an EMT and later be a paramedic. Thought about becoming a hospital corpsman, decided to just be a civilian because I wanted to have control over my life and I realized how my own morals and goals do not align with the military's.

Being an EMT sounded excited and I loved clinicals and my teacher. She worked the loma prieta earthquake. She also worked in turkey and did work with pararescue. Her stories were heartfelt and I fell in love with being of service to a human in crisis.

divinewind_007

Forum Lieutenant
well my whole family and I were volunteer firefighters for years then my Dad made the transition to first responder, then EMT, then Medic. 3 years later he rubbed off on me i guess and i signed up and i loved it. Mom however went and got her LPN. Although we finally wore her down and she got her EMT to.