What kind of EMS jobs are available on the ocean?

MondoMarcus

Forum Ride Along
I'd really love to work as an EMT on a boat or something. I'm looking into getting my DMT cert, but there's not a whole bunch of information on it anywhere.

I know that DMTs usually work on oil rigs, but what are the hours like? Do they stay on the rig for a month or two or do they have shifts? How does it work? Is it kind of a freelance thing where DMTs work for specific jobs for a certain amount of time?

What other kinds of EMS jobs are available on the ocean? Just getting into the whole thing and trying to figure out what direction I want to go in.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Self-dentistry?

14772539_10.jpg

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'd really love to work as an EMT on a boat or something. I'm looking into getting my DMT cert, but there's not a whole bunch of information on it anywhere.

I know that DMTs usually work on oil rigs, but what are the hours like? Do they stay on the rig for a month or two or do they have shifts? How does it work? Is it kind of a freelance thing where DMTs work for specific jobs for a certain amount of time?

What other kinds of EMS jobs are available on the ocean? Just getting into the whole thing and trying to figure out what direction I want to go in.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

I work in the oil fields(in Canada ) . Some of my coworkers have worked offshore in the past. They worked rotations ranging from 2 weeks on 2 weeks of to 3 months on. Most of these jobs require rn or paramedic with lots of experience. The pay is good and you usually have pretty liberal expanded protocols / scope.

Stoked

Forum Crew Member
One of our local seafood companies has continuous slots for medics on their trawlers and processors, minimum 5 years experience...According to their website, they also manage the ship's store (?).

Maybe research vessels? One of the women in my EMT class was sent by her university, mostly for the MPIC skills.

Last edited by a moderator: