What is your take?

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
We are a 911 vol with a small call volume, around 120/hr. Our current Chief cares no medical license nor has he ever. Our Assistant Chief is a Medic of about 3 years but takes very little time on the ambulance. Probably about 12-36hrs every month-3months.
That is all I have to say interested what things pop into your head.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have no idea what your talking about. what?

OP
OP
E

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
I think it is crap that our "leadership" have non to virtually no EMS licensure.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
volunteer ambulance??? im kinda lost as well

Amack

Forum Crew Member

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
What question are you asking? If you're asking for feedback on a specific condition/issue with your department/agency, then you need to provide details and ask for specific feedback.

OP
OP
E

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I want feed back on if others think it is idiotic to have two people in charge that dont really have the knowledge or licensure to lead. I think it's crazy that my Chief can direct something on a incident and I'm suppose to listen to him because he's the Chief.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Yes I want feed back on if others think it is idiotic to have two people in charge that dont really have the knowledge or licensure to lead. I think it's crazy that my Chief can direct something on a incident and I'm suppose to listen to him because he's the Chief.
There are far too many variables here. It depends on your state and county protocols, and if you're in a small town (or not) you have politics to deal with.

Many of my superiors in life were less educated and dedicated than me. That's life. I wouldn't let it compromise patient care, but there is more to EMS than education. As a PHRN or Pre-Hospital RN you'll most likely have more training than most of your EMS counterparts. That doesn't mean you get to run the show.

Sasha

Forum Chief
120 calls per hour? Am I reading that wrong?? What?????

OP
OP
E

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
I posted a correction to that.
We are a rural community. The city is about 20-25K but we are the Rural volunteer. We function under an EMS system with in our Region which is about 9 counties.
And yes I realize that I may have more edu than some of my higher ups but I would prefer they have some kind of education or lic/cert.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain

Well, first I would think it's a certification as an EMT/Paramedic, etc., and not so much a license - there IS a difference.

Second, and more importantly, is that you have to remain professional despite your personal differences with your leadership. Your chief may not have the EMS experience you desire, but he may have the managerial skills on a scene that you lack. Either way, you should follow their direction on scenes and, if there is a problem, address it with them after a call. That's the whole hierarchy of leadership - either deal with it or leave your agency.

Your agency should have by-laws as to what classes your chiefs should have to hold a position of chief. If you don't have by-laws in place stating so, then I'd say it's more of an agency problem you have, and not personnel. If there are by-laws and your chiefs don't have the classes outlined therein, then bring it up to the appropriate people (committee) and let them handle it. It's probably not adventitious for patient care to have your chiefs be undereducated, but that's the problem in many rural volunteer agencies that vote for leadership based on popularity rather than the best interest of their community.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
E

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you for the correction on the lic v cert. These positions are appointed by the district Trustees. You are very correct in the popularity vs IMHO the right people/person.
So if by taking direction from someone without a cert and something goes south am I liable or is he?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
well...

If you ask me, you dont have to be "the smartest guy around" to be in charge... however, there should be a liason between the medics and the Chief.

At our pharmacy, our supervisor is a tech. Our head honcho is a Pharm. D. but the supervisor has a "higher authority" given the fact that he is REQUIRED (just emphasiszing) to recieve all input from the pharmacists.

So just because someone has a licence doesn't mean that they should be given a higher "rank". However, little to no experience shouldn't be in a position to make decisions.

but thats just me. Everyone is different :D

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
We are a 911 vol with a small call volume, around 120/hr. Our current Chief cares no medical license nor has he ever. Our Assistant Chief is a Medic of about 3 years but takes very little time on the ambulance. Probably about 12-36hrs every month-3months.
That is all I have to say interested what things pop into your head.
Than again, according to your profile you are an RN. I do not believe they have a place in EMS except in the ED.

OP
OP
E

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
Than again, according to your profile you are an RN. I do not believe they have a place in EMS except in the ED.

I believe there are many threads with the debate so we probably do not need to beat a dead horse. However, the Illinois Department of Public health does feel they have a place. I was also a EMT-B for 6yrs with this same service before I became a PHRN. I think it should speak something for myself that in this post and many of mine I do not mind being corrected and I have asked the opinions of those that have far more EMS experience that I do. That is why I have come here...to better myself. So I would appreciate it if you would keep your negativity to a minimum..at least on threads I start.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
im just glad i do not live in that area... our volunteer fire cheif is an emt... yours should at least be a first responder..

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Thank you for the correction on the lic v cert. These positions are appointed by the district Trustees. You are very correct in the popularity vs IMHO the right people/person.
So if by taking direction from someone without a cert and something goes south am I liable or is he?

If it is a patient care issue, then the provider at the highest level is in charge, regardless of title in your department. If it is something to do with rescue or non-care issues, best leave it up to the chief. If there is a real issue with your chief telling you to withhold treatments or provide unnecessary ones, you may want to have your medical director have a chat with your chief and inform him that no card = no care on his part.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Your medical direction will come from your medical director and your protocols specifiic to your job title. Often, we have superiors who have no direct working knowledge of what we do which has been the long time agrument about Fire and the Sheriff's office running EMS. In some parts of the country, a higher ranking Fire officer with only an EMT-B cert will also be in charge of the Paramedic units. However, they usually know their limitations and will leave the medical stuff to you and your medical director or whatever medical control you are operating under at that time. Even in the hospitals, not all departments will report to someone even vaguely familiar with what they do.