What got you into EMS

EisforEffort

Forum Probie
I've always been interested in it! I have a very special learning disability and have to learn in a hands on classroom. I tried nursing and couldn't grasp it because it was too much book work and not enough clinical time. With EMT school, honestly we learned it hands on first then applied it with text and writing. Almost BACKWARDS but it worked for me! Getting into this field I am still really new but I'm absolutely addicted to my job!

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I wanted a decent salary, great benifits with a pension, and a super duper schedule.:rolleyes:

So.....how did that work for ya??? :rofl:

Seriously though, I got into EMS because of some weird interest in Emergency Services.....just found I liked it after joining CAP years ago and doing SAR.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I wanted to be a firefighter ever since I was six years old. I always rushed to the window to see an ambulance or fire truck rush by. I used to go see some of our city's fires also. And then I learned ems was a big part of what we do everyday.

However I was asked this by a department that I was doing my clinical at, and they told me my answer was bad because it was so typical. :(

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
I wanted to be a firefighter ever since I was six years old. I always rushed to the window to see an ambulance or fire truck rush by. I used to go see some of our city's fires also. And then I learned ems was a big part of what we do everyday.

However I was asked this by a department that I was doing my clinical at, and they told me my answer was bad because it was so typical. :(

Haha, I still do that.

Guilty too :\.

O2andDogs

Forum Probie
The short answer is William Shatner and my wife.

When I was a young tot (about 4 or 5 I think), I was lucky enough to be in that special zone where they were still showing reruns of Emergency! and there was this new show called Rescue 911. Yes, I realize I am dating myself here...

Anyway, after being absolutely glued to those shows, I remember telling a family friend "I'm gonna be a paramedic when I grow up!" Having NO clue what a paramedic actually did, except look really cool and save people. Mainly I just wanted to play with the defibrillator :p

Fast forward about 25 years or so... I was 30 years old and had a new wife, who really believed in me. We were going through a very fortunate time in our lives and she looked at me and asked me if there was anything in the world I could do, what would it be? I told her I had wanted to go to EMT school since I was a child, but had become an expert in making excuses as to why I couldn't. Her answer? Then do it. I will support you.

After 3 months of the most challenging classwork of my life (I always took the easy classes in college), I passed my class with one of the highest grades, and passed the National Registry on the first try.

I am in a fairly unrelated career that I love, and I will probably not do EMS full-time, but I have my application for a local volunteer department ready to go.

It's not as glamorous a story as some I have seen in this thread, but it is what it is. Whatever the motivation to serve, the fact that one has it is the important part!

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
...It sounded fun. I dunno. The Adrenaline rush is nice for me! Plus it's relatively easy to find jobs or volunteer around places. Good volunteerism that makes me feel like I'm doing something important.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
To be a firefighter...

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
What has got me into EMS was a conversation that I had with my friend about work in general. And the reality is the following. Any type of work sucks, everyone wishes they coukd get paid for being cool. So i decided to look into ems as a result. As far as money i know that i will earn more than i do now working at a warehouse and will bet more personal satisfaction out of my work. Plus i enjoy the medical side as well. I am looking forward to studying :)

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
Well, I'm considering paramedic training because..

of the mind-numbing boredom and lack of challenge of the career I've had for almost 20 years + a sense that Im just on a conveyor belt to the Great Beyond + awareness that I have strengths and skills that aren't being utilized x Colorado shooting = It just feels right.

I •would• also like to earn more and have better (or some!) medical benefits. Seems the jury's still out on that one. :unsure:

taylor24

Forum Ride Along
When I was a young tot (about 4 or 5 I think), I was lucky enough to be in that special zone where they were still showing reruns of Emergency! and there was this new show called Rescue 911. Yes, I realize I am dating myself here...
I remember Rescue 911! I was also young when it was on, maybe 5 or so? I loved that show!!

Suffice to say that I've had a lot of medical experiences! Both real and simulated....

I was born 4 months premature (24 weeks gestation, 1lb 12oz at birth), and I have Hydrocephalus and very mild Cerebral Palsy. My first several years of life were filled with various health issues, but the Hydrocephalus is under control with a VP shunt, and the CP is mild enough that I wear a small AFO brace and walk with a slight limp; other than that I am fine and function normally.

I'm the daughter of a former police officer, and have grown up around law enforcement and medical personnel. Since June 2007, I've put my medical knowledge to use as a moulage (realistic injury makeup) artist and civilian role player for my local first responders - I've played everything from a hostage at gunpoint, to a trapped and injured earthquake victim, to a paranoid psychiatric patient! I'm also a member of CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and am trained in small fire suppression, search and rescue, and basic trauma first aid.

I love the medical portions of our CERT practicals, and have really enjoyed getting to learn from medical staff in some of my role-playing experiences.

And that's how it started!

Last edited by a moderator: