What employers think of card classes

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
So I got fired about 5 months ago and I have been applying for every 911 job in Alaska with no success. I have also been taking some card classes to try and make myself look better. So far I have AMLS, ACLS, PHTLS, PALS and the FC-P. I am about to schedule another test for the CCP-C and I am wondering if I am wasting my money and time it is really depressing to put so much effort into something and get no where. I am also about to go volunteer at the homeless shelter today; yes I'm going to put that on my resume.
Do these classes really help or will I be worthless forever. I have already accepted the fact that I am going to have to move. A hospital offered me a sitter position last weak so I guess I can be worth something.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Not worthless forever.
What you need is time and distance from the event as well as a solid understanding of where you failed.

It is about owning the failure and how you have made the necessary changes in your skills or (most likely) attitude that the next employer will choose you over the candidate with a clean background.

If done properly, both in presentation AND in practice, I believe you can truly be a better employee than those who believe they **** gold bars.

It wasn't a lack of certifications that got you fired, why would obtaining certifications make amends??

Deal with the real issue.

OP
OP
medicaltransient

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
Not worthless forever.
What you need is time and distance from the event as well as a solid understanding of where you failed.

It is about owning the failure and how you have made the necessary changes in your skills or (most likely) attitude that the next employer will choose you over the candidate with a clean background.

If done properly, both in presentation AND in practice, I believe you can truly be a better employee than those who believe they **** gold bars.

It wasn't a lack of certifications that got you fired, why would obtaining certifications make amends??

Deal with the real issue.
How else can I demonstrate my clinical prowess?

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Jump at the first 'YES' you receive and then over-deliver. If that means you work as a sitter while applying for other jobs, so be it. That is the path to restitution.

It is easier to get a job when you have a job (with a positive referral). You need people in your corner. The sitter job may turn into a tech job; the tech job into a transport position... And so on.

You need to eliminate the break in your work experience. Take the sitter job and be excellent.

Your issue is not clinical prowess, it is whether or not you are a potential liability.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
You don't need to further demonstrate your clinical abilities. Your résumé is not the issue. You now need to focus on the application piece. Apply, follow up, interview well, make and use connections, etc. If asked about the incident that caused you to get fired, it was nobody's fault but your own, and you learned X, Y, and Z from it, thus making you a better provider.

You are by no means not hireable (assuming you haven't ommited information to us). You just need to play the game now.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

This. You can get all the certs in the world, but if you have a bad attitude (only guessing) it won't make the slightest difference and you'll be running into this problem again in the near future.

OP
OP
medicaltransient

medicaltransient

Forum Lieutenant
I got a crappy job on a private ambulabce right after I got fired. Im just going to keep taking card classes, volunteering and applying for jobs.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I have just about every card/cert possible.

Honestly, just from my experience, employers have really only cared about the certs that they require. All other certs were kind of "brushed off". When employers needed copies of certs I gave them copies of everything-but they only wanted the certs they required for the position. Additional cards/certs weren't given a second glance.

Additional certs won't hurt you, but I can't say for certain that they will help you at all. They will expand your knowledge base, but I honestly don't think they have a noticeable advantage when it comes to hiring.

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
The only certification that has ever given me an edge, other than required certs, has been the Principals of Ethics and Personal Leadership course I took and the subsequently obtained course-coordinator in. There was a hospital ER department that was hiring paramedics to work as paramedics in the ER. That ethics class caught the attention of the HR officer. otherwise, nothing else mattered.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Honestly....how many places are there in Alaska? You may need to move anyways. I thought you were in Texas?