what does amr pay?

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Hello. I'm thinking about applying as a medic for amr down in the san diego area. Does anyone have any idea what they pay down there? I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be worth the relocation.

U2623

Forum Probie
AMR Pay

Is AMR medical authority down there? I know in Ventura County (AMR is med authority there) they pay big bucks for medics. A medic just came to LA Co FD and took a massive pay cut to do so, however LA Co FD medics earn quite a bit already.

OP
OP
D

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Is AMR medical authority down there? I know in Ventura County (AMR is med authority there) they pay big bucks for medics. A medic just came to LA Co FD and took a massive pay cut to do so, however LA Co FD medics earn quite a bit already.

As far as I know based on my research, San Diego has its own EMS system and AMR works for areas surrounding the city (ie national city, la mesa, etc.)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello. I'm thinking about applying as a medic for amr down in the san diego area. Does anyone have any idea what they pay down there? I'm trying to decide whether or not it would be worth the relocation.

No idea on AMR SDs pay rate. But, DW, are you an EMT Student still?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
And AMR is no longer hiring here in SD. They haven't been in a while.

OP
OP
D

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
No idea on AMR SDs pay rate. But, DW, are you an EMT Student still?

Yes I am, I'm almost done. I plan on working as an EMT for a year and then going to paramedic school. Since they don't hire private paramedics where I live and I don't want to join the fire dept, I am thinking about relocating. Hopefully in the next couple of years I'll be where I want to be. I'm just in the process of planning what I want to do and looking at potential options. Nothing is certain yet.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

In 2006 the AMR division I worked for in Northern California was (according to the union) the second highest paying Ambulance Porvider in CA. EMT's started at 13.36/hr with a 4% increase annually and a 0.50$ cost of living raise every 4 years. So if there was once company in CA that piad more you can always hope it will be the one you go to... or get into Fast Food and make some real money! ;)

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello. I'm thinking about applying as a medic for amr down in the san diego area. Does anyone have any idea what they pay down there?
more_peanuts.jpg

JPINFV

Gadfly
yup....u got it

In that case you could always try getting on with a company in Los Angeles County depending on where in OC you live. Try to start/stop work at a time when you won't have to deal with rush hour and it shouldn't be too bad. The best advice, unfortunately, is to get the heck out of So. Cal. Wonderful area, really bad EMS system.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
^^^^^^

I couldn't agree more. Best Idea is to get outta here. I'm only staying long enough to get into and through medic school. Then i'm off to somewhere else... like Tx or Va... where its a lot cheaper to live!!

OP
OP
D

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
In that case you could always try getting on with a company in Los Angeles County depending on where in OC you live. Try to start/stop work at a time when you won't have to deal with rush hour and it shouldn't be too bad. The best advice, unfortunately, is to get the heck out of So. Cal. Wonderful area, really bad EMS system.

yup......totally agree with you on that one

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

I agree, mostly.

Except for being the Land of Johnny and Roy, LA county isn't that bad to work for (again, no private medics unless you want to be IFT, but as an EMT it's alright, sorta). AND, it looks like (I said LOOKS LIKE, it's not official, or unofficial, or anything) AMR LA is looking to start hiring again soon.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Best Idea is to get outta here. I'm only staying long enough to get into and through medic school. Then i'm off to somewhere else... like Tx or Va... where its a lot cheaper to live!!
Actually, the best idea is to get outta there before paramedic school. The schools in California are not well respected. They are, unfortunately, rooted in an antiquated, sub-standard state system. When you go to a more progressive state, you're going to be in for some serious culture shock.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, the best idea is to get outta there before paramedic school. The schools in California are not well respected. They are, unfortunately, rooted in an antiquated, sub-standard state system. When you go to a more progressive state, you're going to be in for some serious culture shock.

BLUNT... but true... but happy cows do come from California. -_-

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief