What Do You Take With You On Your Shift??

EMTgurl911

Forum Crew Member
I was just a little curious on when people go on their shifts what do they like to take with them to keep them occupied??

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Laptop
Books
Schoolwork
Sometimes I bring my PSP

As for keeping occupied - once station chores are done, and there aren't any calls... there is always naptime ;)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
The usual stethoscope, sissors etc. In my bag, LUNCH, (you should always eat at least once a day whether you need it or not). Book (lately it s been school books, novels are better). Clothes appropriate for the weather,(rain/snow pants, extra warm gloves, hat/touque). Misc. cell phone battery/charger, Advil/Tylenol, drug guide and other small odds and ends.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Laptop for when I'm at the station, and my Treo 650 for when I'm not.

piranah

Forum Captain
laptop(which im on now), phone, a couple movies, thats about it.....i like sleeping...:)

Niftymedic911

Forum Probie
Laptop, my Treo 755, bedding, movies, Xbox 360, school books.... (6 classes left to go).

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
laptop, A couple movies, some food, cell phone, stethoscope (i have my own cause i dont like the cheap ones our system uses), wallet, key and all those goodies.

TraumaJunkie

Forum Crew Member
hmmm..... I guess what i bring depends on what type of shift i have. If its just a 12 hour shift i bring scope, uniform, scissors, boots, my wallet, portable, jacket, cell phone and thats it. If its a 24+ il bring my scope, uniform, extra clothing uniform, boots, scissors, my wallet, laptop,cell phone, dvds, portable, jacket. If i forget any of that stuff it can usually be accumulated through the day from various resources. And if you get really bored you have a endless amount of items at base you can use to entertainyourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
depends on the length of shift. short shifts(<=12hr) just my duty gear and a book. longer shifts my laptop, dvds, extra uniform, sleeping gear, overnight stuff. basically on 24's i move into the station.

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
I pretty much move into the station i work 48 hours straight. I take uniforms for the two shifts, plenty off food and drink ( i try to stay away from fast food)
And of course all the goodies cell phone and chargers books and i have a computer at the station so i dont have that to drag around

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
food of some sort, book of some sort, as for personal equipment, the standard, shears, pen light, pen, pocket notebook, extra gloves, field guide, stethoscope sometimes, phone, pager

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Laptop, Word Finds (not crosswords...can't figure those darn fill-in-the-blank things out!), GameBoy DS Lite w/ 5 or 6 games....

and most important....

a PILLOW and BLANKET!!

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
I rent 5 movies before i start my tour when i get to work make some french coffee the read the news while watching it on tv get bored do the worcross puzzels by then its usaly time to get ready to go to the homless shelter we usaly get called there every mourning then come back sleep for 15 mins lisen to music then go on the computer and thats basicly it were prety busy where i work sometimes were luck if we get down time lol

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
I don't take anything with me to keep me occupied and would have to give the guys i work with on shift the credit for this one: Just their good company filled with a whole lot of laughs while doing grafting...

Last edited by a moderator:

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
since we stay at our station, unless we get bored and want to drive around or get a call, I just keep a sleeping bag, pillow, and a bag of stuff like toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, advil...all the usual stuff for extended tours all in my truck so if I need it I walk out to the bays and get it out of my truck, we also have plenty of 24/7/363 stores in our district so if we ever need anything they are there...there is really no need for food or anything because our stock of food seems to grow after each monthly meeting and weekly drill...:huh:

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Just being on shift is more than enough. Never a dull moment, especially shift 12. If it's quiet, we'll go for a drive or find some way of entertaining ourselves.

It's a team thing...!

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
my company provided me a duty gear bag. fits in my front seat. i usually bring the obligatory stuff on me. scissors, cell phone, pen, uniform. in my gear bag is my GPS, extra pens, dig. camera, personal meds. i usually take my bag wherever i go. it goes from my apt. to the car in the morning, then to the ambulance while working, then back to the car, then to the apt. etc.