What do you eat while out in the field......

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
i looked around for a thread that already discusses this, but i couldn't find anything......so here it goes:

what do you eat while on the job?? i'm starting for the first time as an emt-b and more then likely i'll be doing overnights.....and not many places are open and i'm not big on fast food, plus i eat pretty healthy as is, so i don't want to get on a bad track.....so what do you bring with you?? i'm thinking any kind of peanut butter sammies, cut up veggies and stuff, anything you can suggest that might have a little more substance? :unsure:

thanks everyone!!! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
I am a big fan of Subway. Most of our subways around here are open til 10 to 11 pm. If i get hungry overnight i usually grab a snack from the E.R.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
I often dont eat with my crew as they usually get fast food, chinease, pizza, ice cream, dunkin.

What I bring with me:
Veggies
Fruits
Tuna
PB&J-Wheat Bread
WATER/Seltzer
Yogurt(fat free)
Pretzles

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
I like to play the game where I let my partner decides, and then we both just keep saying "I don't care where we go, you pick!"

It's a great weight loss strategy

firecoins

IFT Puppet
fruits and berries. Sometimes insects if I am really hungry. If I am lucky, I can eat dear meat from a dear we hit with the amblance.

cookiexd40

Forum Crew Member
fruits and berries. Sometimes insects if I am really hungry. If I am lucky, I can eat dear meat from a dear we hit with the amblance.

umm...that would deer as opposed to dear but got ya....fruit, and stuff...don't get on the soda addiction while on shift....its like a fattening crack....

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
I'm a huge fan of "Optimum" Organic Energy Bars by Nature's Path.

(on amazon?: http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-Optimum-Pomegranate/dp/B000PDEZR6)

They can be found at most grocery stores. I always keep one or two tucked somewhere in my uniform.

As a crew, we often go to a middle-eastern place that serves really really good Chicken Shawarma (both plate & pita), or the Sub place down the street. (If you go light on the sauces, it's reasonably healthy. Chicken, Pita, Veggies, etc...) If we're doing standby at an event with food, it's usually negotiated that responders are fed :)

Sandwiches and the like work well because you can take a bite, do a call, and come back for another bite before the next call :p

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
What about making up some salads and cold meats, especially as it is summer there?
That way if you get a call out, you can just throw it back in the fridge
for when you get back.
Also if there is a freezer, you can put a loaf of bread in it and keep some spreads in the fridge (Might pay to put your name on them, though!).
If you have a sweet tooth, keep a few candy bars handy!

Cheers Enjoynz

OP
OP
jazminestar

jazminestar

Forum Crew Member
thanks everyone for you suggestions, i guess if i get hungry enough i can find a grub or two......:plol.....but yeah, with me being on a bls unit, we don't really have a station to hang out at, so things that have to stay cold are rough unless i do the whole cold packs in a insulated lunch bag.......which is probably what will be the case for yogurts and stuff.....:D

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
fillet mignon, rib roast. McDonald's. i take a salad if i can, i also take those soup at hand things and the frozen dinner to heat up while at the ER. At the station house it is whatever i don't have to use the oven for since i tend to forget it when we have a call.-_-

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My diet is pretty limited. I have some significant allergies. Because of the allergies, I stick to organic foods as they generally have minimal processing and no chemical enhancements.

I don't eat beef, chicken or pork but will eat some fish/shellfish. I raise chickens so I generally have a ton of eggs around. I'll hardboil a bunch of those when my husband starts a rotation. Easy to grab for a quick protein. I also make soups and freeze them in individual containers. But I've found that the ding of the microwave seems to cause the tones to go off.

Protein powder is good. You can add it to milk, or fruit juice for a quick lift, or make a smoothie with yogurt and fruit if you have the time. Veggie sticks, baby carrots, apples, are easy and quick to grab.

In the SAR pack, I generally keep a couple of ampules of ginseng, a nice fake jerky snack made of Seitan that I buy in bulk. Dried fruits are good and I like to mix them with almonds. Instant oatmeal is light and easy to pack and good with the fruit mixed in.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I prefer things I can eat cold, sandwiches, leftovers etc. My partners and I don't eat out very often. Cold packs and an insulated cooler are pretty much must haves. We don't always get to where we can use a microwave to heat things up. When you are having a long day its nice to just reach in the bag and be able to eat.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
When I worked from 7P-7A, I used to eat before work, grab some food at a gas station for a midnight snack, and then get breakfast on the way home.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
I know your pain or the pain that will soon be yours.... I have worked nights for several years. All the suggestions that everyone has given you are great and well if you like eating rabbit food then you are set. Sandwiches are good too but they get rather boring real quick. If you are like me and you enjoy food and its not just nourishment then that gets rather boring real quick. So if you are looking for something with substance then I too suggest things that you can keep cold. Or at the least something that won't spoil with out refrigeration for a couple hours. I used to bake or grill chicken breast season it how ever you like refrigerate over night (during the day). A pasta salad. Cook your favorite pasta throw some vinaigrette on it and its good to go. Maybe a little butter and parmasan. (sp). all of this is even better if you have ice packs and some form of insulated cooler.
I have several recipies if you want feel free to Send me a private message and I will help with what I can.

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
I know your pain or the pain that will soon be yours.... I have worked nights for several years.
I have several recipies if you want feel free to Send me a private message and I will help with what I can.

Wise words.

Pasta salad is wonderful, and interesting.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
When I work nights, we often get a decent dinner at about 2000... if I sleep, I sleep. If we are up all night, we might make a 2am trip through WaWa to get something snack-ish and perhaps coffee. If I sleep, I usually just wait until the morning and have something to eat for "breakfast" at home or on my way home. My thing is that I switch days/nights, but I get to sleep... so I try to eat breakfast and dinner at semi-normal times.

I usually keep a few "crunchy" granola bars in my bag... easy, high energy food for when I'm having a bad day... like when it is 2pm and I've been on calls since 10am.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
i had one of those gas station smdwhiches today...god awful things they are. if i get to eat at the station house i recently have been making those microwave dinners that take like 3 minutes and have thier own plate/bowl.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
All hail WaWa:
http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/

It is a 24x7 store that sells decent coffee, freshly made sandwiches, and anything you could find at 711... but it's fresh.

OH YEAH!

Funny thing is I've gone whole weekends eating 3 meals a day from WaWa.

NJN

The Young One
All hail WaWa:
http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/

It is a 24x7 store that sells decent coffee, freshly made sandwiches, and anything you could find at 711... but it's fresh.
WaWa.

I second that motion. I'm just mad that i have to drive 25-30 minutes to get to the nearest WaWa.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO, how i miss wawa.

OnceAnEagle

Forum Ride Along
My situation includes being posted at some gas station parking lot for twelve hours at a time overnight, with my commercial company.

I used to just hit up whatever was open (and finding out exactly which drive-thrus I can fit the mods through... Tim Horton's being one of those I cannot, but that was at the direction of the supervisor, I absolve myself of the embarrassment that brought about) until I started tracking how much that cost me.

On an average night, add a Micky D's run ($7 for a meal), some coffee ($1+), something cold to drink ($1), and a snack ($2?), and it adds up fast three or four times a week.

Just drop the $30 on supplies and a lunch box, it'll save your wallet.

If sandwiches aren't you thing, get pita wraps and spice it up a bit.... pastrami, turkey, provolone cheese, spicy deli mustard... mmm... half a pound of each meat and a package of each supply will past you a week for $10, and will put enough protein in your stomach to keep the hunger pangs away.

Throw a Clif bar, with brownie being my favorite, a piece of fruit, yougut, maybe a pudding cup, and a bag of chips... that'll get you through cheap and much, much healthier. I'm an active guy, working out 4 or 5 times a week, and after a week of full time overnights I started to feel heavy and slow from all the junk I was piling in my mouth.

Be nice to your body... it'll be nice back.