What call do you absolutely hate?

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
At this point no calls bother me: at my previous jobs BS calls that could go to the doctor by car.

Here, averaging 1-2 calls a month I MISS BS calls, any calls are nice even 0305 fire alarms (we go with fire on everything they do)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
On 12's, I don't care about any BS calls. But on the 24's while sleeping, I hate BS n/v, cold symptoms, stuffy nose, etc, with capable family members and not other complaints

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
Back in the day, I used to hate the "I'm bad off sick. I gots Medicaid. You gots to take me to the hospital." Actually, after awhile, our medical directors gave us permission to refuse. We'd tell them to call private transport and it wasn't covered by Medicaid. It was usually a cold or flu BS.

H33

Forum Probie
Agreed on refusal. If I am going to write a report your coming to the hospital. - if I can help it.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
Right now? nothing.

I'm been a licensed EMT-Basic for less than 6mo running with an all volunteer crew that gets maybe 150-200 calls a year.

Every time those tones drop it's new and exciting still.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I hate epistaxis. There is nothing worse than knowing that the pt is blowing blood all over you as you check the nostril and you are even inhaling some of it. The next least favorite is a tie between the one who should have gone to their PMD and the one who tried to but was told, "Just go to the ER."

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Right now? nothing.

I'm been a licensed EMT-Basic for less than 6mo running with an all volunteer crew that gets maybe 150-200 calls a year.

Every time those tones drop it's new and exciting still.

I wish that I could get that feeling back again...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Panic attacks really wear me out. I've never run so many panic attacks before I started working in Northern Virginia. People at work in an office. People calling from their car on the side of the road or highway (get that a lot). College students in class. Panic attacks during an incident with the police. Teenagers getting a panic attack after getting disciplined by their parents, or after getting dumped by a bf/gf. After a car accident. Panic attacks everywhere!!!!!!

People are too soft nowadays; they lack the ability to handle stress.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Ran on a frequent 5150 flyer recently.... AOS outside a CVS to find a woman on the phone with 911 dispatch. I make contact and she tells me to "be quiet I'm on the phone with 911" I never get upset with patients especially psychs but she almost threw me over the edge..... She only called 911 three more times while in our care. Once while we wheeled her out into the ER waiting room -___-

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I dislike the typical BS like N/V, diarrhea, typical flu or cold, etc., especially from younger people. I've never at a point in my life, even prior to EMS, would have thought to call 911 when I felt like ****. I especially get frustrated when they have a family member that is perfectly capable of bringing them to the hospital call us.
Or when on these calls and the family follows you in their vehicle to the hospital.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Working IFT not many calls bother me, but when I get that occasional house call, and when you show up and family realizes an ambulance showed up and ask "how much will this cost?" My answer is usually an honest answer of, "I don't know, I'm not a part of billing nor do I know what your insurance covers" and the family goes, oh well we will take them ourselves and proceed to leave you on the porch while on the phone with dispatch. I'm sorry, but why wait over an hour for us to show up to say, never mind we will take them...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
A couple of nights ago I had another call that drives me up the wall - the lonely 65-80 y/o lady calling at 0130 that lives alone and has absolutely nothing wrong with her, just looking for attention. At this time of night I'm looking to turn the call over in the shortest time possible without being negligent. This patient tends to stall in the residence as long as possible - has to do fourteen laps around the place to gather everything, needs to use the bathroom, and as soon as you get her out of the front door, she sends you back in the house for a scavenger hunt for some more things that she needs, and to turn off more lights that she didn't care about ten minutes ago when we first tried to get her out of the house. Meanwhile, she talks constantly, and getting a Hx is damn near impossible.

Every question you try to ask is met with a two minute story about something 100% irrelevant to what you just asked. Example, do you have any Hx of heart issues - heart attack, irregular heartbeat, heart failure, surgeries, valve problems? Answer: I take a pill for something, and I see my doctor once a month, but I changed because they changed their hours, and I like to go to the senior center on Wednesday mornings, so it doesn't work. You can call my daughter and she can tell you more, but she lives in Pennsylvania and I'd like to go and see the kids but she says she's busy with their sports and the PTA. One's in Volleyball, the other one does track. Let me show you some pictures of them before we leave for the hospital.

We have a couple of frequent fliers that do this to us a few times a month each. I check with the ED, and they never find anything wrong. We try to get a game plan where one person tries to package real quick, and the other right away shuts everything off, gets their keys, and asks what they need before we leave, but these are no ordinary patients - they're professionals, and are expert at keeping us on-scene for 30-45 minutes at the minimum. When all else fails, this patient will play the I want to go/I don't want to go game to add another 20 minutes or more onto an already long call.