What are you getting set up for ths winter?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Got some great summer stories, what are you folk setting up for yourselves this winter? (Or, for our Southern Hemisphere blokes and sheilas, their sping and summer...).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It's San Diego. There's no such thing as winter :] But mostly trauma for the desert. Desert season coming up!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
What I'm getting set up for has nothing to do with EMS.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Ice, ice, more ice, and lots of snow. Reminds you just how fun it is to live in the middle of nowhere when they decide your road is too isolated to be worth plowing. God knows I'm gonna love just trying to get to calls.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Win...ter..? What is this strange thing you speak of?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Sasha, that's when all the AARP t-shirts appear in your neck of the woods.

Oh, how I mss midwestern winters.
NOT.
Well, sorta not.

surname_levi

Forum Crew Member
this will be my first winter outside of michigan or some other midwest state. im getting incredibly scared of christmas without snow

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

surname levi....this is an intevention.

Clean and oil your snowchains and put them in your garage in a safe but undiclosed location.
Your snow shovel will work well to rake leaves into before trashing them.
Thermal underwear...hmm, have any relatives serving in Afghanistan?
LL Bean goosedown insulated boots: yard sale, "Wilderness Uggs".

(I still have my "Ice Station Zebra" hat from riding tailboard in Nebraska,
1976-7).

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Yay for Winter

Let's see, getting a new avalanche tranceiver probably the Mammut, another probe, replacing my Da Kine pack shovel, new leather gloves, currently in the refresher cycle for outdoor stuff...

Doing the snow dance, dance, dance... :D

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
preparing for the extremely harsh so-cal winter. i fear there might be a day or two where i won't be able to wear my sandals, due to the sub-zero-frost-bite-causing temperatures.

in terms of work, transitioning back from driving a truck on the beach to driving the ambulance on the road

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not even sure what to expect this winter. Last year we had a strange winter that this area hasn't experienced in a very long time. All sorts of broken records. Now they are predicting this winter it will be two times worse from the very strange spring/summer we had on top of our strange winter. So I guess I'm getting ready for the end of times. :p

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
SB has no winter... only fog and a few rainy days here and there....

however I heard this year is an el nino year so It might be a little colder and a lot wetter this year.

aside from that... nothing else planned really

8jimi8

CFRN
mandatory seasonal flu vaccinations (at the hospital, but my volunteer squads have all asked for the information on my spouse already...for the H1N1 vaccination)

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Ski season!

As for EMS... not really sure what to expect, since we've been having weird winters lately. I do want to get some ice rescue training, though.

NorthCoastChick

Forum Probie
I'm a little worried about black ice patches and winter weather. Not sure of what to expect because I was hired at the beginning of the spring season, and haven't had to drive an ambulance through the winter. The roads where I work are mostly plowed during the snowy season, but ice is prevalent in the mountain shadows and I'm having reoccurring worries about skidding out with a patient and my partner in the back...

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

NorthCoastChick, my daughter wintered up there last year.

11 miles So. of Eureka.
Never got as cold as it did here near Sacratomato.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Keeping my CPAT valid, getting back into the L.A. City process, driving to malls, cruising in my Bel-Air, turn my Japanese import into a psychobilly freak, and saving some frackin' lives. I can't wait to put up the christmas lights so that the December winds can knock 'em off.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I'm considering putting the lining back in my duty coat... It's in the 50s here already. The frost will soon be upon the pumpkin.