What about a Diabetic EMS worker?

Artique

Forum Crew Member
I saw the thread about HIV and EMS work, but what about Diabetes. I know its not contagious and probley quite silly to question but im type 1 and in very much control of my disease and is it common, uncommon or rare to see such indivisuals in the EMS field of work. regardless of the response I will persue what my heart tells me, but I want to know what kind of challanges i have ahead of me.

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
I know in California if you are insulin dependent you cannot obtain an ambulance driver license and are therefore unemployable by many EMS agencies. I'm sure you could find someone, somewhere , that would let you be a medic, you just couldn't drive......Meaning you would tech. EVERY toe pain, every 5150 transfer, etc.

If it's what you want to do, I say go for it, and don't take no for an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
So just Type 1 diabetics in general or someone that uses insulin alot. I only take one shot at night, and not throughout the day. Why would I be refuse the whole EMS profession becasue of that. From what I was told I was able to attempt any carrer with a clean record even the military. This unmotivates me and seems like the only carrer a diabetic can have is Retail. I have heard and seen HIV EMS people, Hep C people but not Diabetics?

zainan

Forum Ride Along
Not sure about other states, but here in Illinois, a paramedic can work in the ER/ED as an ER Tech. If they tell you "No." at the ambulance services, maybe this could be an option for you.

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
Don't give up.

Read my post a little more carefully. In Ca. you are required to have an "Ambulance Driver License" to operate an ambulance. It is simply an endorsement to go along w/ your class C license. To get that endorsement, you have to have a current green card, or DOT physical. (DMV form DL 51A).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/driversafety/cdl_guidelines.htm#PageTop

From the DMV web site:

Insulin-Dependent Diabetes-

The driver is qualified if: He/she has no established medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes mellitus currently requiring insulin for control.
Exceptions/Considerations: The commercial driver generally is not in a position to balance dietary and rest needs. Injury, emotional stress, unrelated illness, diarrhea, vomiting, or infection may also affect control of the diabetic condition.
Additionally, residual effects of the disease may include nerve and vascular damage causing pain or numbness in the extremities and/or vision deterioration. When evaluating the condition of any diabetic, residual effects of the disease should not be overlooked. Diabetics who are well controlled with diet or oral medication usually do not pose a problem for the issuing of a commercial license. However, they too may be subject to these residual effects.
Thorough review of the entries for vision and extremities on the medical report and urinalysis is required. Indications from urinalysis of uncontrolled diabetes may disqualify an applicant from operating a commercial vehicle.
For the above stated reasons, the circumstances in which an insulin dependent diabetic may be qualified for a restricted intrastate commercial license will be very rare.

Under federal standards, a diabetic on insulin therapy, regardless of the degree of control, does not qualify for interstate driving, unless they were issued a federal waiver or exemption.

Other things that could preclude you from obtaining a DL 51A is Loss of or Limited Use of Extremities, severe cardiac issues, severe respiratory issues, uncontrolled High B/P, Seizure disorders, etc.

Like I said, I'm sure theres ways around it. Request a DMV hearing if you are denied. Research the exceptions and see if your case is unique. If you want this job, you'll get it. Don't think it will be handed to you, but it's well worth the hard work.

I may not be rich, but I still look forward to coming back to work each and every week. I enjoy what I do, and that means less stress at work, less stress at home. I work 48/96. 96!!!! 4 days off, every week!!! I can get in a lot of fishing in 4 days.

Best of luck to you, and don't be deterred. Anything worth having is worth fighting for.

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
Even though I got discouraged, I wouldent abandon my goal, it just made me scared. This is the only thing I want to do and I was thinking my disease would keep me from it, but you know nothing can really stop someone if they really want to do something. What you said here was really motivating and I will get a whole load of doubts and encouragement from various sources. Just need to stay focused on what I want, and pursue it to its fullest. thanks, though it really helped what yiou said.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I have a friend who is a Type 1, Juvinile Onset, Insulin-Dependant diabetic.

He was in Louisana with me after Katrina... he is controlled with a pump, and ALWAYS has backup syringes and spare pump sets

Then we did a 2-day event the next weekend... we were 100 miles from home, and his pump quit on him... he had to inject himself for the next day, and I did most of the driving, because he wasn't fully confidant in himself.

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
yeah after some reading and looking around I found out that diabetic or not, as long as I am functioning and able to drive an ambulance then alls well. And as far as I know I can function a 10 hour stock room job lifitng boxes and running around, with a pregnant fiancee and 2 kids, so if I can do that, I can do anything

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Have you thought about contacting the state EMS office and asking them? I've contacted state EMS offices in several states on many occasions and they've always been responsive.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In Washington State there has to be evidence that the ability to perform work is impaired by the health condition in order to be denied employment. This is why a diabetic friend (EMT-P) needed a doc's okay prior to hiring. It's also why he failed to make his probation and was bounced out on other criteria.

Especially for those in fire services, the stress and physical activity can radically affect blood sugar, add to that the sleep deprivation and it's a dangerous situation. So, if you were hiring and there were two candidates.. one with a health condition that may or may not affect his/her ability to perform the work and one that doesn't.. who are you going to hire? Most applications I know of have a section for.. "Do you have any health conditions that might affect your ability to perform your duties as described" I guess you let your conscience be your guide there on what it means to 'affect'

OP
OP
A

Artique

Forum Crew Member
yeah thats common sense in any job especially one such as emergency work. Although it could be risky the same risk would apply to any other able body person that comes down with an ailment or some kind of issue during work. Im certain my body would pass any terst needed as I have great stamina and follow my diet and medication and also have available meds that ensure me stability even during long sleep deprived and extended times without food. Like you said its up to my Doc and hopefully my doc would suppluy me with what I need to make myself as reliable as possible. I mean hey if your a damn good medic It wouldent matter if you have a ailment if you are able to perform to the best that a medic can +100% more

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
I work with people who are diet-controlled diabetic and insulin-dependent, either self-injected or using a pump... it's no big deal. Some of them you just have to keep an eye open and remind them when it's time to eat. Pump's the easiest way to deal with it on the job.

chico.medic

Forum Crew Member
Artique, I don't think you would have a problem getting licensed as a Paramedic because of your health, but Call DMV. I only keep bringing this up because I see you live in Ca. I work in Ca. and I know a few people who could not get their ADL (Ambulance Driver License) because of IDDM. PM me and let me know if it works out.

corbin

Forum Probie
EMT who has diabetic

Good am.............Just stay positive and like one of the other medcs were saying, take a paramedic class and just don't drive.. It will work out for you, just give it to God and he will make it happen for you.
joyce