What a waste of life

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Ok, so I'm not one to sympathize with becoming dependant on any sort of drug, but there is a point to which I will ask myself "now why'd they have to go and do that." Well, right now is one of those times.

A girl I know, used to go to summer camp with, cried with, laughed with, but haven't talked to in years, was found dead this evening apparently after od'ing. It is now 1am in Hartford, I found out 15 minutes ago, and the initial news came out 20 minutes before that, so I am not totally sure when it happened. Now, I'm not looking for sympathy, for heartfelt words, or for anything other than prayers for her family.

No, I just need space to think out loud, to say "why did you do that? why did you waste such a young and promising life?" She had just turned 16, would be a junior in high school. She would be taking the SATs, touring colleges, hanging out with friends, and doing the things high school students do best. She would be a counselor at summer camp for 2007, maybe on staff the next year, she would be befriending more kids, touching their lives. She would be upsetting people in her high school, saying the mean things we all say to one another. She would be crying with her friends over that stupid boy and celebrating life in every way. But she's not, not any more. She's lying in a morgue, a cold lifeless body who could have been and done so much. All because taking something illegal was fun, because it made her feel good.

Man, :censored::censored::censored::censored: this, I'm going to bed.

TheDoll

Forum Captain
i'm much older that you are and much less experienced in ems. however, i've lived a great deal of my life in touch with my summer camp buddies even after all of these years. most of my friends from way back then have followed dreams that most people would be too afraid even attempt. some, however, have followed a different road. i've lost friends because they have chosen to do detrimental things to their lives, and i've lost friends because of accidents. for some reason, it's those "camp friends" that i have missed the most. i don't have the proper words to explain why, but something about summer camp has a hold on my heart. i don't think that i have words to help make sense of this for you, but i can say that i understand the heartbreak, and i am so sorry.
with a very heavy heart in your honor,
gretchen

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow. That sucks.

I think I posted about my 15 y/o suicide patient a month ago... It always seems stupid and sensless, and we are always left with questions. Further, I had to go through this 5 years ago with a close friend... it is hard.

My thoughts are with her family, and you... if you need anything, don't hesistate to ask.

Jon

Epi-do

I see dead people
That sucks! I hope her family is able to find a way to come to terms with all of this and eventually find some sort of peace. Suicide is so senseless and selfish. Anytime someone dies, it is difficult for those left behind, but it always seems to me that suicides are even more difficult to deal with. Her family, friends, and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Finding peace

I think when we were all kids, our hearts were full of pure dreams and hopes, I think you know what I mean. Anyhow, When something happens like that to us it takes away that bit of memory of childhood joy that we all still try to hang on to. And let me tell you, when we get older I think it hits us harder.
I swear this is a very hard time of the year for all of those folks that do the job that we do. My thoughts are with you.

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
This was not a suicide, actually. She was taking heroin and od'ed. Not sure when, not sure where, that's all I know.

oldschoolmedic

Forum Lieutenant
She was young. She was stupid. It is as simple as that. No one held her down and told her to do it. She knew it was illegal. Normal people cannot fathom the mind of a junkie (first time or chronic abuser, you're still a junkie.) Pray for her family, pray for yourself, but in the end she put the needle in her arm and she got what she was praying for. The longer you stay in this, the more young people you will see being zipped into bodybags for stupid stuff. It is unfortunate and preventable. They just have to want it. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Sorry, not sure where I got the suicide thought from. Regardless, it is still a pretty senseless thing to have happen and everyone who knew her will be in my thoughts.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
This was not a suicide, actually. She was taking heroin and od'ed. Not sure when, not sure where, that's all I know.
I guess we all want to assume suicide in someone that young... also, I'm not sure of the figures, but overdose seems to be a common method of suicide in teens.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I am so very sorry for your friend, her family, her friends, and her future that never will be. We've all done things the probably should have killed us, but didn't. Most of them were probably illegal, foolhardy, or both; but for whatever reason, the cosmic Wheel of Fortune stopped somewhere besides "Bankrupt" in our particular instance. We've all been touched by a senseless death, and it does little good to ask why, methinks. Just recall her as she was when times were good; the laughter, jokes, shared confidences, and all the wonderful things that made her "her". Remember that, celebrate that, and know she's in a better place now. God bless you, and your friend, too.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Sorry to hear the bad news. It's never easy losing someone, especially someone you had a connection with. It really puts life into prospective.

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
My heart just broke a little more

OK, I've learned my lesson to never open my mouth again before I know all of the details.

This was not accidental, it was not a drug overdose. This girl was highly disturbed and was apparently beyond anyone's help. She hung herself Tuesday evening and was found by her mother about an hour afterwards.

I am sorry to take this thread in an even more depressing direction, but I wanted the facts to be known.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Sorry to hear that. How absolutely devestating for her mother to have found her like that.

VinBin

Forum Captain
OK, I've learned my lesson to never open my mouth again before I know all of the details.

This was not accidental, it was not a drug overdose. This girl was highly disturbed and was apparently beyond anyone's help. She hung herself Tuesday evening and was found by her mother about an hour afterwards.

I am sorry to take this thread in an even more depressing direction, but I wanted the facts to be known.

Not to downplay this TCERT, but I remember reading that your majoring is Psy. I too, am majoring in Psy, and am taking Abnormal Psy this year, and we were learning about the signs associated with Suicide and whether it is evident long before the incident. No doubt she was depressed, I was wondering if you noticed anything or if you had any idea when you knew her that might indicate something like this...

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Not to downplay this TCERT, but I remember reading that your majoring is Psy. I too, am majoring in Psy, and am taking Abnormal Psy this year, and we were learning about the signs associated with Suicide and whether it is evident long before the incident. No doubt she was depressed, I was wondering if you noticed anything or if you had any idea when you knew her that might indicate something like this...

When I say that I haven't talked to this girl in years, I literally mean years. The last time I saw her everything seemed fine. Her mom is a psychologist, so any help this girl received was thanks to her mom. Apparently the girl had been cutting herself for a while, but had stopped until the beginning of this week. She resumed and her mother suggested that she be sent somewhere for treatment. This led to the girl running out of the room and to her bedroom. When her mother went to check on her, she didn't see her, so she thought that maybe the girl had gone to the park. When her mother didn't find her there, she went back to the bedroom and found her hanging in the closet.

So yes, she was incredibly depressed. Yes, there were signs. But also, yes, help was being offered. In fact, the offer of help was apparently the last straw. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTBandit

Forum Lieutenant
Damn, sorry to hear that, that sucks. Hope you feel better after saying what you needed to. It's good sometimes to get something off your chest. -_-

islandgal

Forum Crew Member
Tcert-
I am so sorry. Just having to deal with a friend or family member's death is hard enough, but when it's suicide it is especially difficult.
My sympathies.

Last edited by a moderator: