West,TX Explosion/MCI

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Last edited by a moderator:

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I'm about 80 miles north of there, and felt the shockwave.

This was no small explosion at all. I am sure it registered as a small EQ on the seismograph.

I fear that by the time this all shakes out there will be multiple fatalities.

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Minimum of 9 fly-outs at this time. All involved are doing an incredible job. It has to be the last thing you'd expect when sent out for a rekindle.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Wow, the improvised triage area was just evacuated and the safety perimeter was widened. They say another fertilizer tank is on fire. This is absolutely surreal.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
West EMS director forecasts 60-70 fatalities at this time.

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
West EMS medical director forecasts 60-70 fatalities at this time.

Would not be surprising, early shots from the chopper appeared to show the remains of a firetruck at the plant... It's dark so it was hard to tell, but combined with the early released audio. There's a high possibility of first responder fatalities. The apartment complex had almost total collapse on the second floor too.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Unconfirmed reports that 5 firefighters and 1 police officer were on scene and likely died in the initial blast.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
One of the articles I read said that there was a fire crew on scene following up on an earlier fire at the plant when the explosion happened.

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
One of the articles I read said that there was a fire crew on scene following up on an earlier fire at the plant when the explosion happened.

Yes, unfortunately AlertPage posted the initial radio traffic on the blast. IC advised multiple firefighters down.

Fox800

Forum Captain
I'm at med school about 70 miles north. Trying to figure out something my class can do to help.

OP
OP
EMDispatch

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
right now the scene is overloaded, but tomorrow all the hospitals are going to need as much blood as they can get.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
TCOM or UT Southwestern? I am starting MedSci at the end of May at UNTHSC.

If you get something together, let me know, I would definitely like to assist!

Fox800

Forum Captain
TCOM or UT Southwestern? I am starting MedSci at the end of May at UNTHSC.

If you get something together, let me know, I would definitely like to assist!

TCOM. I will definitely let you know. A blood drive would be great. Not sure how to do that. Would we all drive down there and donate? Donate locally and they'd get it down there?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anyone heard how AE 51 fared in all of this? I'd worked at that base with some of the crews in another life, keeping everyone in West in our thoughts.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
I am sure ARC and Carter have already mobilized blood products to the appropriate areas. Any donation up here or down there is helpful, as Carter and ARC will mobilize it as they see fit.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Aren't most of the serious cases going to be shipped up to DFW anyway?

JPINFV

Gadfly
From Dr. Bledsoe's Facebook page...

"West EMS building destroyed."