weight lift test during interview

Kstarr

Forum Ride Along
I had the same thing happen with verihealth. I failed the lift test and they told me to work out and try again. I worked out like crazy for a month then got hired! I was actually glad I had to gain muscle strength because its definitely needed on a lot of the calls especially when running calls without a power gurney or a stair chair.
Also, I have a friend who is looking to be hired as an EMT but does not think she will be able to pass the lift test- does anyone know of any companies in the bay area that have a lighter or less strict lift test?

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Hit the gym. Don't be that partner who can't lift. People are way heavier and dynamic than those weights.

I don't want you injuring yourself, the patient, or any assisting team members. Working with someone who can't lift sucks. It doubles the work load.

Rin

Forum Captain
I've never had to take a lift test. Does anyone know the heights the weights must be lifted to? Also, are we talking about a barbell with plates, or a weighted dummy...? I'm just curious for future career moves.

I do fine at work, but levering a 240# patient into the truck is not the same as straight lifting 120#.

JWalters

Forum Crew Member
My most recent lift test was 90, 120 and 140 pounds. It was a square "bracket" that you put barbell weight on to increase the weights. Then I had to do a variety of things at each weight like walking up and down a small flight of stairs several times and lifting the weight from a higher/lower box to the next a series of times. I'm in pretty good shape and I do weight train, but I'm not nuts about it, and I didn't struggle at all so I would suggest to anyone having trouble to begin working with weights a bit. I think it will make a bigger difference than you think.

Moving people is a lot different than moving weights but there has to be some way to test.