Weather (and other pertinent) apps

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm curious to know what all (HEMS) weather apps you guys are using, or have used for weather checks. I know the pilots are typically on the ball conducting them for us pre-flight, but figured others may have some helpful apps to offer up, even non-weather related apps for the industry.

My most frequented seem to be AeroWeather, MyRadar, and our state highway patrol website, along with the typical run of the mill paramedic/ critical care apps.

For the old skool flight guys and gals, how all was it done before? Was it all just based off of pilots checking weather patterns pre-flight/ mission call-by-call? Just curious how others programs have done, or are doing things; figured it's been a while since I'd created a thread, let alone in our HEMS and AMT section.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Interested as well!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Pilots for ages have just call and get weather reports from the weather services. Look at NOTAM's for the airport's. Usually reliable. But also know weather changes quicky. . So part of the pre flight is a phone call to the national weather service. There probably are apps that also consolidate weather information.

You can also get weather updates in-flight. And a lot of navigation systems will display weather information.

(My wife is a pilot, my father in-law is an ex army pilot, and I have a few friends who are either military or commercial pilots)

OP
OP
VentMonkey

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Pilots for ages have just call and get weather reports from the weather services. Look at NOTAM's for the airport's. Usually reliable. But also know weather changes quicky. . So part of the pre flight is a phone call to the national weather service. There probably are apps that also consolidate weather information.

You can also get weather updates in-flight. And a lot of navigation systems will display weather information.

(My wife is a pilot, my father in-law is an ex army pilot, and I have a few friends who are either military or commercial pilots)
All this is done, I was just curious as to how other programs go about checking weather, and/ or if they're using any of the apps now available.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
As long as the internet has been out there has always been access to decent weather reporting systems out there. Web based, HEMS tool is what we use: https://www.aviationweather.gov/hemst

From a crew member perspective the AeroWeather app is one of the best available in my opinion, although I often will only check it heading into work, or periodically throughout the day, but I don't get onto my weather app while the pilot is checking weather. I think weather is one of the items that far too many crew member's don't know enough about, or aren't interested in learning more about sadly. I am never about pushing weather, or taking someone past their comfort zone, but we have had an incident or two of new crew member's aborting in certain weather conditions which are totally safe and flyable, and then failing to accept additional education about said situation.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I'm not involved in flight but couldn't you look up weather patterns on NOAA? Or call the tower for a weather report?

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not involved in flight but couldn't you look up weather patterns on NOAA? Or call the tower for a weather report?

Yes you can do either of those, just computer programs and apps have made it faster, more accurate alot of times, and doesn't increase the workload for the guys in tower/airport. Around my way the weather reporting can be somewhat skewed to keep commercial traffic incoming, and often times we get better weather reporting by looking at the local airports.

You can also check automated stuff like the AWOS or ATIS if out and flying about.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

ParkMedic

Forum Probie
While not specifically related to air ops this website has an abundance of information pertaining to weather. We referenced it frequently when I worked in AK.
www.mountainweather.com Navigate using the menu tab in the top left corner.