Watches - Digital vs Analog

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Give me a solid old Timex digital with an alarm.

My watch during four years firefighting and EMT on alternating days was a Wittnauer chronograph I bought from a guy for $40 in basic training (a whole story unto itself).

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Cheap digital watch I bought from Target. Been beat up but it still is ticking. Has a nice backlight and switches to and from 12hr/24hr

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Digital Timex from walmart 14.95 and has lasted 3 years and still going strong

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I have a Cardinal Digital/Analog with backlight. And, mine will turn on the backlight with a small flick of my wrist. And stay on long enough for me to time vitals.

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
I buy Timex Ironman's because I have very specific criteria for my watches.

They must be all metal, full face backlight, digital time with a second hand.

I have a Timex triathlon. Smae thing, with a black plastic face. Still looks new after a year of use! Love that watch. It's also small, and slim. If it ever breaks, I'll be buying the same one again.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
check your owners manual. theresd very well may be a setting to make it stay on for a prescibed period of time insteand of holding for on.

if thats how you have it set, and it still isnt long enough, consider a watch with luminous hand and markers:

lume2.jpg

thats the dial of an omega seamaster. granted, not many people will spend 4 grand on a watch and then wear it to work on a truck, but its a great example of what your watch should look like. the seamaster is the king of lume.

Touche on the choice of timepieces. I agree, if its not C.O.S.C. certified, I probably won't care for it much (Although I do wear 2 quartz pieces - Citizen nighthawk GMT / Luminox F-117) for my current location. However, I do have to disagree on the lume king. I think either of my Breitling Superocean's will give you a run for your money.......... :)

Plus they can go deeper! (chicks dig that!)

But the 300m automatic series is nice, especially with the electric blue dial in titanium. Definately my next purchase......................

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When was the last time you brought your citizen, or any other watch to 300m?
Even as a military diver, the deepest you are going to go without a sub is 2-300 feet. As a recreational diver, rarely below 80, and never below ~120-130.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the new rolex is waterproof to 3900m.

you may never be able to make use of it, but wouldnt it be cool to own a watch thats capable of that kind of depth????

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

you may never be able to make use of it, but wouldnt it be cool to own a watch thats capable of that kind of depth????

Sure, if I got it as a gift! What's the price tag on that badboy?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
msrp for around 15k

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

Yeah, but the Deep Sea is fugly as he!!......................

Besides, Rolex can't make a dive watch worth its cost. Omega and Breitling both blow Rolex out of the water on design and construction. Only thing they have going for them is an inhouse movement, although Omega is starting to do the same thing.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i agree its a pretty homely design, but its water proof to -3900m!!!!

theres only one rolex i want, and it happens to be the most asthetically pleasing watch ever made. that would be the cosmograph daytona. this years model is great, without a doubt, but i would quite literally kill if i could find one of these:

6263dro801.jpg

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Good luck! an original condition 6263 will run you about $30k. It is a beauty though!

The only downside with the Daytona's is the lack of a datewheel. I'd rather have a Tudor Tiger chrono. It also tends to wear small for a 40mm watch. Maybe its the bezel design, but it definately feels smaller than the other sports models...............

MRE

Forum Captain
I used to like digitals, but have switched to analog in the last few years. I have a Luminox 3100 that I wear every day, and I am thinking about getting a Luminiox 3204, which is a lot dressier in my opinion and would be good for wearing to (more) formal events. This is also the first watch that Luminox has made with a saphire crystal.

Anyone have any thoughts on this watch before I go and spend $350 on it?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
This is also the first watch that Luminox has made with a saphire crystal.

Incorrect, the 3400 series also has a sapphire crystal with AR coating. Luminox is a good functional watch, the tritium seems to glow slightly better than traser and S&W. I love mine, especially in the field.

MRE

Forum Captain
Incorrect, the 3400 series also has a sapphire crystal with AR coating. Luminox is a good functional watch, the tritium seems to glow slightly better than traser and S&W. I love mine, especially in the field.

Actually I checeked and there are a couple others with saphire, like the 8xxx series. I believe that Luminox just started making watches with saphilre in the last year or two. Thats what I was thinking when I said it was the first one. Either way, my 3100 is scratched and I don't like it, so I'm going with saphire.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
the 6263 is my white whale. every horologist has their grail watch. mine is the 1980 role 6263.