Watch that First Step, It's a Doozy

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Wow, I'm finally free, actually I have stepped off the rigs with over 1500 patient contacts in 15 months. I think burnout is an understatement. While patient care never suffered, I can't say that I was the most patient partner, combined with my perfectionist attitude, I think I was a less than perfect partner in the final stages. Takin' a quick little breather from the grinder, actually taking all of Oct. off, going to school (unrelated) in November, and then Medic School in March. Hopefully next year this time I'll be a PARA-GOD, heaven help all of us. I am going to keep my skills up, along with my bank account by working Ski Patrol over the winter. I think I am going to miss the Grinder in a sort of self-mutilating way, but it was FUN, and I am going to miss all that helping people Jazz, anyway, just my thoughts,
Luke

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like you are taking a much needed break! I hope you get some R&R before you hit Medic school, you will need it! I couldn't just walk away, I have had only 5 days off and it is killing me, although I still worked every night while I was asleep, I guess that just goes along with the job. I wonder if the nightmares ever stop? <_<

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm pretty lucky like that, I haven't had any nightmares about EMS in the last 4 years, but instead I just can't fall asleep. I guess it's my subconscious' way of protecting me from nightmares.

OP
OP
Luno

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Kyley, I don't think the nightmares ever stop, (PTSD or something) as I don't think humans are hardwired to deal with everything that we deal with as often as we see it. However, I have had the nightmares make some rather funny twists, I think when you start laughing at your nightmares, you've officially lost it. I am going to enjoy my time off! I have decided to do some work that has nothing to do with saving people (even though my skills are going to be used) and have decided to pursue opportunities with PMCs and see about short term deployment OCONUS. I think I'm just a "stress junky." However this does put a new type of stress into the mix. YEAH! :ph34r:

Cpt, the amnesia is hitting me really hard right now, I don't know if it's just that my sleep patterns are so messed up from work or it's just unresolved subscriptions (issues are a single occurence :p).

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Luno, it sounds to me like I am doomed, I have already started laughing at the nightmares! I don't sleep much either manybe 4 hrs at a time if I'm lucky. Hell the way my schedule is I don't have time for it. I just run on madness most of the time, and a beer or two here and there :rolleyes: What gets me though is even when you are out and about and trying to relax and forget it all someone always comes along and has to ask the famous question........"what is the worst call you have ever had?" The general public just doesn't have a clue :angry: if they did they wouldn't even think of bringing work up. I would like to just once tell them that the worst call of all time is gonna be the one for them. When I have to work them because I have choked the **** out of them. Maybe I will try that if we go out tonight after work :lol: Anyway I am glad that you will still be using your skills, don't want those to get rusty and I am glad that you will have your R&R before school starts. We all need it every now and then.