Washington State Approves Community Paramedics

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Ive heard about community paramedicine. Do you think you can enlighten me on what it is? To me it sounds like medics making house calls.

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently none of the above poster's bothered to actually read the bill. I mean, why actually get informed about the topic at hand when it's easier and more fun to toss out snide comments.

For the record: FireWA1 is flat out wrong, both with the term he used (there is no such thing as "advanced level community paramedics") and about who does the training.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It doesn't say anything about the training specifically being delivered by UW, but you know that's where it'll come from. :)

And it does specifically exclude any private service.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You still haven't actually read the bill. Or did but don't understand it. Sorry, but that's the case.

This bill doesn't create any new level; what it does is make it legal, and acceptable for EMT's and paramedics to provide non-emergency care in their capacity as an EMT or paramedic; state law previously prohibited this.

The "advanced EMT" that get's referenced has to do with the state moving away from having a dozen different levels of EMT's and to the current NREMT standard of EMT, advanced EMT, and paramedic. If you notice, the original version had "intermediate life support technician" instead of "advanced."

The only reason that UW is even mentioned is because both the state of Washington and the University of Washington are allowed to certify EMT's and paramedics. (though UW has been out of that game for years)

For god's sake, please stay informed about topics like this, don't just buy into group think. It's counterproductive.

It does exclude private providers, although IF privates cared enough it would be easy enough to pass an amendment. Also, technically, if a private has a levy, or possibly any sort of public funding they would be allowed to do this; legally speaking in Washington, in this context, "fire departments" just means an EMS agency that has a levy for funding.

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

Triemal, reread section 2. It starts on page 2 line 33. If you read sub section 3 (page 3 lines 6-9) it says they must be trained and certified by UW school of medicine. That is the same school that trains king county paramedics. Granted it does say or the department of health but I really doubt they will do any of that and just bow down to king county.

Hence my assumption that king county is locking down the community paramedicine program so that they have full control because they think they know everything.

Now I could be wrong in how the physicians trained paramedics will be rolled out. But only time will tell. Either way I am happy to see that community paramedics will be coming to Washington besides a few localized trials.

Last edited:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I feel like I'm repeating myself.

This DOES NOT create a new level. It just makes it LEGAL for EMT's and paramedics to provide non-emergency care in their capacity as EMT's and paramedics. The "advanced EMT" IS NOT a new level that has to do with community care; it's the ****ing advanced EMT as put out by the NREMT that is now allowed in Washington.

Do you understand that? If not let me know, and I'll try again.

The UW is only mentioned because it is allowed to certify EMT's and paramedics (though it hasn't for years); it is not creating a new training program because A NEW LEVEL IS NOT BEING CREATED. And as you noticed, but choose to ignore, the state (obviously) is also allowed to certify EMT's and paramedics.

Do you understand that? If not let me know, and I'll try again.

Not to be rude, but if you practice in Washington, you need to understand what this bill is, and what it isn't.

It IS NOT creating a new provider level, IT IS saying that EMT's and paramedics may function as "community whatevers." Is this clearer now?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Let me try another tack.

Reading a bill can be confusing, especially if you don't pay attention to everything it says. FireWA1, you're stuck on the term "advanced EMT," so we'll look at that.

In section 2, you'll notice that it starts by saying that it is amending RCW 18.71.200. This is that RCW: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=18.71.200 Please read that before continuing.

Done? Good.

You'll notice that the current version is the definition of what a paramedic and "emergency medical service intermediate life support technician" is. Washington state used to have multiple different levels of EMT between an EMT-basic and paramedic; EMT-IV, meds, airway, I think a couple others, and various combinations of those things. That was an "intermediate life support technician." Washington has now switched to having EMT's, Advanced EMT's, and paramedics, in line with the NREMT. (though I think local medical directors or regions can still add on some of the old skills if they choose)

Up until now, RCW 18.71.200 had not been amended to reflect the current way of certifying people; with this bill it now has.

The "advanced EMT" here has nothing to do with community medicine, it's essentially housekeeping and clearing out a term that is no longer used.

Does that clear up what is meant by "advanced EMT?"

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

OK I see what you are saying and where my confusion was. That you for the second message that helped clear things up.

The physicians trained is what confused me.