Warning devices on personal vehicles

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Just curious about what warning devices other volunteers use on their personal vehicles. Also, what is legal in your state?

sunshine1026

Forum Crew Member
None. Maryland doesn't allow the use of warning devices on pov's except for a limited number of line officers per company. :(

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Even though I live in Florida, I'll be honest. I've been out of the public Fire and EMS world since moving down here but I believe that volunteers cannot run any color lights.

In Indiana though, the volunteer color is blue, and you must display two lights that are visible 360 degrees. Now, I'm not going to say which department this is, but I do know of one that will 'lease' some of the volunteers vehicles for $1 a month so that the drivers of the vehicles can run red lights and sirens. The only allow a certian few to do this but they do do it. This department has what they call the Mafia Squad. A few (I believe 3 or 4) of the very dedicated volunteers decided that it would be 'cool' to go out and get matching vehicles and do the above. They ended up getting the newer style Chevy Tahoes w/ split rear doors, black in color, red and white strobes and sirens. When the tones drop for, lets say, a MVA w/ injuries, if the Engine(s) have already left the station you would usually see at least two of the Mafia Squads trucks roll up on scene, the drivers stepping out and walking around to the back, slide into their turnout gear and then walking up to the scene. I will have to admit, it is quite a site.

I also know that in Kentucky the volunteers can run red flashing lights in/on their vehicles.

Chimp

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
In NY it's one blue light for volunteer firefighters, or one green light for volunteer EMS. No sirens, no colors other than blue or green.

I heard a rumor (aren't they always) that some lawmakers are looking at making the blue and green lights emergency lights (an upgrade from "courtesy" status) so that drivers who don't yield will be ticketed. Now THAT would be cool. :D

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
In Pennsylvania, volunteer EMS & Fire personnel are allowed to equip a a single vehicle with blue lights. The Chief, Deputy, and Assistant Chief of the FD are permitted to run red light's and siren and the EMS Chief and Deputy Chief are also permitted to run red light's and siren.

Additionally, the fire police captain and lieutenant are allowed to run red light and siren.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Not allowed in California. Red lights are restricted to authorized emergency vehicles (fire, police, EMS). Blue lights are restricted to police vehicles (they run red and blue togehter...fire/ems is all red). Sirens are also restricted to emergency vehicles and armored cars (for use in evading a robbery attempt).

Amber lights can be used on most any vehicle as a warning device, but are only supposed to be used when the vehicle is parked. Tend to only see those on construction, utility and other service vehicles and tow trucks.

Our department has two cars that are equipped with "undercover" light packages (windshield and hide-away strobes, no lightbar) and sirens. One is the Chief's car, which is a red Caprice with magnetic markings that he usually leaves off (uses it as his daily driver). The other is our Fire Prevention car, which is an unmarked white Taurus. The duty captain will occasionally take the FP car home and use it to respond to calls (generally without the lights/siren), but that's rare. Still, both are considered emergency vehicles because they're owned by the FD for use by uniformed personnel.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
In Michigan Volunteer EMS/Fire can run as many lights/sirens as they wish. Most have a big lightbar up top. I know most places supply a small light and siren, and it's up to the volunteer to pay for the rest. Some have strobes, deck lights, and whatnot. Others have LEDs, Strobes, Siren w/ airhorn, and just about every other light they can fit on their pickup.

The light has to be red.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
In South Dakota - Blue or Blue/White, visible 180 degrees to the front or 360 degrees.

In Iowa - Blue, visible 180 degrees to the front or 360 degrees.

In Nebraska - Red/Blue, visible 180 degrees to the front or 360 degrees but must also use a siren.

In Washington - Green, visible 180 degrees to the front or 360 degrees. Light must also be approved by state patrol and you must have department permission (mine doesn't allow us).

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
After everyone posted all these rules their state requires, I'll have to check with some of the guys I work with on this one.

rescuecpt

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in NY you need a card saying that you have permission to have the blue light - ours is printed on the back of our FD ID card.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I recently had to disable all of the warning lights I have on my vehicle, since my department doesn't allow them.

We won't talk about what I had installed, but sufficeth to say that I gave cops cars a serious run for their money...and that was without an external lightbar! :ph34r:

rescuecpt

Lol.

I am very obedient with my one little "Whelen Scout"... but soon, my dears, I will be expanding my arsenal with some *contraband* - I'm looking for grill strobes and some sort of strobe for the back of my truck. :ph34r:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt@Jul 8 2004, 11:40 PM
Lol.

I am very obedient with my one little "Whelen Scout"... but soon, my dears, I will be expanding my arsenal with some *contraband* - I'm looking for grill strobes and some sort of strobe for the back of my truck. :ph34r:
I'd recommend headlight and tail light flashers, first. They're cheaper and don't require a seperate power supply.

citizencain20

Forum Probie
In Wisconsin, Firefighters & EMT's are allowed to run any combination of Red, Clear and Amber (Must have Red to be considered an Emergency Vehicle, and Officer must allow it). But per state regulations, you must have a siren active at all times when running your lights in any emergency vehicle. Needless to say you might imagine what 20 volunteers running red light and siren to a scene look like...lol.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by citizencain20@Jul 10 2004, 12:27 AM
In Wisconsin, Firefighters & EMT's are allowed to run any combination of Red, Clear and Amber (Must have Red to be considered an Emergency Vehicle, and Officer must allow it).  But per state regulations, you must have a siren active at all times when running your lights in any emergency vehicle.  Needless to say you might imagine what 20 volunteers running red light and siren to a scene look like...lol.
:eek:

... and sounds like? Can you imagine rolling into a usually quiet neighborhood, 20 volunteers all running their siren, then the Engine rolls through blowing their Q? OMG.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Jul 10 2004, 03:44 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Jul 10 2004, 03:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-citizencain20@Jul 10 2004, 12:27 AM
In Wisconsin, Firefighters & EMT's are allowed to run any combination of Red, Clear and Amber (Must have Red to be considered an Emergency Vehicle, and Officer must allow it).  But per state regulations, you must have a siren active at all times when running your lights in any emergency vehicle.  Needless to say you might imagine what 20 volunteers running red light and siren to a scene look like...lol.
:eek:

... and sounds like? Can you imagine rolling into a usually quiet neighborhood, 20 volunteers all running their siren, then the Engine rolls through blowing their Q? OMG. [/b][/quote]
I'm not sure if I support volunteers using lights and sirens on personal vehicles.

First of all, having to maintain emergency vehicle insurance can be expensive, which you really should do if your vehicle is considered an emergency vehicle. If you get in an accident and they find out you had lights and sirens going, you can bet your insurance company is going to have a few choice words for you.

Secondly, the only places you save time responding with lights and sirens is generally in intersections and at stop lights/signs. These are also the most dangerous places for responders to get into accidents.

Thirdly, like Chimpie mentioned, there's going to be some upset citizens if you come rolling into their neighborhood at 0300 with lights and sirens going on 20 responding vehicles. :angry: