Want to update bls skills

drose

Forum Probie
Hey how's everyone doing, haven't been on this forum as frequently as I was before I started working. I finished the EMT course around may of last year, and I really didn't start working until january of this year, and to be honest I think some of my skills have diminished, I work for a private company in chicago where I do primarily inter-facility transports to dialysis and a other wide variety of appointments, and every now and then I get a lights and siren call, its very rare. I'm a guy that needs to do things repetitively over and over again to remember things or ill forget sometimes. I just enrolled in this medic course so I know simple things like splinting, combitube insertion, and backboarding, etc will be done prior to anything. I'm pretty sure I know how to do this if any patient needed it, I just want to sharpen my skills because its been awhile. Question is if any of you know anything I can do that'll help? Any advice would be great, thanks in advance

J B

Forum Lieutenant
At the place I did my basic course, they have a policy that former students can go back at any time to observe classes, participate in skills practice, or just play around with the equipment/mannequins and practice on their own.

The BLS skills are all pretty easy to do in a classroom, though. Not sure if there's a substitute for real experience.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Always books, reading might give you the aha moment.

Refresher course?
I don't use every skill every day, week, month etc. I help out with teaching skills and that helps.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Hey how's everyone doing, haven't been on this forum as frequently as I was before I started working. I finished the EMT course around may of last year, and I really didn't start working until january of this year, and to be honest I think some of my skills have diminished, I work for a private company in chicago where I do primarily inter-facility transports to dialysis and a other wide variety of appointments, and every now and then I get a lights and siren call, its very rare. I'm a guy that needs to do things repetitively over and over again to remember things or ill forget sometimes. I just enrolled in this medic course so I know simple things like splinting, combitube insertion, and backboarding, etc will be done prior to anything. I'm pretty sure I know how to do this if any patient needed it, I just want to sharpen my skills because its been awhile. Question is if any of you know anything I can do that'll help? Any advice would be great, thanks in advance
Best bet, take a refresher course.
When I did mine, it was two weekends long (both sat and Sunday) 8-5 and there was a practical as well. It counts towards CE's too.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Best bet, take a refresher course.
When I did mine, it was two weekends long (both sat and Sunday) 8-5 and there was a practical as well. It counts towards CE's too.

Was going to say this, and if you can find a refresher that offers the national curriculum update/transition.

Here is the text I use for my course.

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Check in with your HR/ Operations Manager. I know some companies (even the smaller ones) have "refresher days" or CE weekends for their employee to refresh and to teach new skills (for protocol updates). If your company doesn't do one, raise the possibility of creating one.