Want to become an EMT, should I get out of Washington?

dayvancowboy85

Forum Ride Along
So I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and on other sites, and it seems like WA is not the greatest place to start being an EMT right now. The certification process and advance training is slow, and the job market (especially since i live in seattle) has few openings.

I really don't mind moving, but I don't know where to go. I was hoping to get some suggestions on states/cities with great EMT schools or a high demand for EMT jobs. Eventually I want to move on to a Paramedic or something of that on that level. I already have a 4 year university degree as well.

Or if you think I should state, let me know! Thanks :)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Either way you cut it, you're essentially going to spend 2 years to get your Paramedic, (so long as you don't take the easy route) so you might as well get your AAS/EMS and stay in Washington to do it. Washington's Medic One is a highly regarded agency.

What are your future aspirations? Do you want to be a Paramedic or something else?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
EMTs are not really a hot job market right now since the market almost everywhere is flooded with candidates. Jobs for new EMT-Bs, especially with no experience, are hard to come by

OP
OP
D

dayvancowboy85

Forum Ride Along
I was hoping to become a paramedic eventually, or maybe work in the fire service since they pay well enough.

I guess if the job market is really flooded everywhere like you say, I'll just have to volunteer and work a separate part-time job? Even if thats the case I'll have to move out of the city because living here is too expensive.

Roam

Forum Crew Member
Jobs are scarce everywhere for medics or basics (please let me now if I am wrong!) I don't think that Washington is alone, I know Idaho is just as bad. You may find more opportunities for volunteer in smaller more rural locals, hard to tell.

If you find an employment meca please post the location! Good luck man..

OP
OP
D

dayvancowboy85

Forum Ride Along
I was thinking that maybe places with a lot of fires (aka texas) might have a lot of openings in their fire dept volunteer programs but im not certain. I might as well just get my NREMT here and go from there.

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
If your looking to go Firefighter its gonna be a huge pain finding a job...if you wanna go Firefighter/Paramedic you will have a little bettere chance over the rest of the applicants.Here in Vegas they don't even hire EMT-Bs and being a Firefighter here is out of the question lol..But if EMS is where you really want to be then it will all work out but it takes a lot of time and energy...best of luck

OP
OP
D

dayvancowboy85

Forum Ride Along
honestly given the choice i'd rather be a fire-fighter, but like you said, the job market is pretty poor right now and i'd hate to think i'd have to go 3-7 years unpaid before anyone would hire me full time.

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
Yea the market is no good lol and waiting 3 to sometimes 5 years to make a FD is how it usually works out seeing only about 5% of the people who test actually make it first try..but if you are willing to move Denver CO is holding the DRCOG test Nov 1st (i will be attending) and i also believe last time i checked AMR is hiring EMT-Bs in CO...but i highly suggest going EMT-P it will make it easier for you in the long run

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yea the market is no good lol and waiting 3 to sometimes 5 years to make a FD is how it usually works out seeing only about 5% of the people who test actually make it first try..but if you are willing to move Denver CO is holding the DRCOG test Nov 1st (i will be attending) and i also believe last time i checked AMR is hiring EMT-Bs in CO...but i highly suggest going EMT-P it will make it easier for you in the long run

Where in CO?! I've been checking and the only one that I got was an email about the Springs...

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
The tesing is in Denver but your scores go to places like black hawk.Longmont and like 10 other places.If you go onto DRCOG.com it will give you a list of places

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The tesing is in Denver but your scores go to places like black hawk.Longmont and like 10 other places.If you go onto DRCOG.com it will give you a list of places

I actually meant AMR.. since I have 0% desire to ever work as a FF

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
o0o haha i dunno my wife was looking the other day on the AMR website..we plan on moving up there very soon

actually i just looked and they are hiring a Paramedic and Basic in Denver and a Paramedic in Pueblo

Last edited by a moderator:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Yeah the medic market sucks in Portland/Vancouver WA right now also. So many applicants and only a few slots now and again. Get your NREMT-P. Washington is a good state for Paramedic programs, I took mine in Vancouver (which also had to meet all the Oregon requirments)

States I have herd are low are Floridia and AZ. Not sure if anyone else can comment on that... but those states have been recruting in JEMS and EMS mag for years.

Hawaii also has a statewide shortage, but there system is kind of weird and you will probably end up doing atleast a year of IFT with AMR before you will be looked at for 911. I still plan on going into at some point sense I filed reciprocity into hawaii (which is no easy task!) But I am going on an international contract soon.

Anyway the NW has some of the best medic programs around most of which far exceed NREMT and DOT standards.

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
There's only a few paramedic programs in Washington and they all require at a minimum, 2 years of field experience as an EMT. Some require more. You can't get into the UW/Harborview program without having a fire department or county EMS agency sponsor you.

In the Seattle area, without experience, your options are being a glorified taxi driver at AMR, Rural/Metro or Tri-Med Ambulance, which due to the economy and lots of people applying, might take a while before you get called in for testing and interviews. There's volunteering with a FD, but most don't take people who don't live in their area (And the few that take out-of-area people are swamped with applications too), and even if you move there's no guarantee they'll take you, assuming they'll be putting a recruit class together anytime soon (Economy again). There's also search and rescue, which is a lot easier to join, but you won't get many patient care opportunities there, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't count for paramedic school prereqs (The private ambulances do, but aren't first-on response.)

It's not a rosy picture. Sorry.

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
to add to what Yowzer says, hes right WA state paramedic programs are hard to come by, a lot of EMT's go out of state for it. HOWEVER, flip side isw that WA state has some of the best programs for EMT and the classes teach you more than what you would get in another state. We are allowed to do much more than counterparts in other states, but also get the trainign to back it up. Its a good way to start out, getting into a volunteer department, getting the class paid for and seeing if its for you.

AVPU

Forum Lieutenant
Get the hell out of Seattle. Too many EMTs there, and many end up losing their cert. You've have a better chance in eastern WA. After a couple years in EMT, CWU in Ellensburg has a pretty good paramedic program. I've met some ppl who have gone through it and really like it. Good luck.