Volunteering question

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
So I got my EMT-B license back in august and am having a hard time finding a place to start off my career in ems, So I figured why not volunteer? My question is: would you guys volunteer at a hospital that would start you off in the reception desk?????

emt6207

Forum Probie
I considered something similar, the hospital nearby next county over allows for volunteers in the ED, but for the most part all your doing is changing out sheets and assisting in cleaning rooms, on the other hand you'r right there where you can chat/communicate and maybe make some connections with staff that might help you get hired down the road. Just not sure if the volunteer work would be the worthwhile part.

OP
OP
G

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
That is exactly my concern. Anyone done this before?

stlukescj11

Forum Crew Member
I wouldnt cuz that requires no EMT exp to do reception. I guess it depends on your area and amount of ems companies. Where I am it is loaded with companies so volunteering on a truck is very easy. I would work that position as a last resort.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
Volunteer with an Ambulance... Hospital Admin. isn't going to give you any clinical but agree if you cant get it into an ambulance or FD, take hospital admin.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
Plus even volunteer experience is good experience for a resume, looks good when you go to an agency showing them you aren't "wet behind the ears"

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I looked into volunteering with a couple of hospitals and they both said that they do allow volunteer EMT's to use their skills but only after volunteering in a non medical capacity for a time. There are many aspects to medicine and as much as many of us dislike the nuts and bolts aspect of medicine working behind a desk at a hospital would look good on a resume. If you can't get on with an ambulance or FD I say go for it. You might pick up info that will make you a better medic one day, and having your face seen around a hospital is rarely a bad thing.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
I looked into volunteering with a couple of hospitals and they both said that they do allow volunteer EMT's to use their skills but only after volunteering in a non medical capacity for a time. There are many aspects to medicine and as much as many of us dislike the nuts and bolts aspect of medicine working behind a desk at a hospital would look good on a resume. If you can't get on with an ambulance or FD I say go for it. You might pick up info that will make you a better medic one day, and having your face seen around a hospital is rarely a bad thing.

I think it is safe to say running with EMS/Fire you learn very quickly most PD, ED, and other agencies within the county depending on its size.

OP
OP
G

GEORGEL5

Forum Probie
Well I guess its not a bad idea and they did say that eventually they would move me to the ER but no hands on though. But I will keep checking with other hospitals in the area and see if I have better luck there.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I went to school so I could make money, I don't work for free. I suppose volunteer work is nice if you can afford it.

What about volunteering with the Red Cross in a first aid capacity?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
So I got my EMT-B license back in august and am having a hard time finding a place to start off my career in ems, So I figured why not volunteer? My question is: would you guys volunteer at a hospital that would start you off in the reception desk?????
question to ask yourself: would volunteering at a hospital at a reception desk help you get a paid job as an EMT?

If the answer is yes, than go for it.

if the answer is no, than try volunteering doing something that would help you get a paid job.

EMS123

Forum Crew Member
I went to school so I could make money, I don't work for free. I suppose volunteer work is nice if you can afford it.

Completely agree paid departments/agencies are GREAT, but if you cant get on a paid agency why wait all together to get onboard somewhere to sharpen skills and experience while still tring to do civil service and look for a paid position?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Money isn't life's only reward or even life's most important one. Obviously you have to be able to support yourself and your family first though.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
What about volunteering with the Red Cross in a first aid capacity?

w00t for the Red Cross!

I know the LA Red Cross has an extensive FAST (First Aid Station Team) program. It wouldn't surprise me if San Diego had one too. They do first aid at large events. Recently LA did one for the Rose Bowl Parade.

While it's volunteering it might be a good way to get some experience. You may also want to look into becoming an instructor (First Aid/CPR/AED/First Responder/etc).

I've put out a feeler to find out about San Diego. I'll let you know what she says.