Volunteer Squads

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 27 2005, 09:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 27 2005, 09:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 10:27 AM
College kids are great, they all have weird schedules and a lot of them ride during the day when they don't have class.
Except when they go home for the summer... we feel that crunch every year at the vollie squad. Luckly we have a few members who grew up in the area who we see back over the summer and they run.

Jon [/b][/quote]
We have a good mix of kids who live at home and go to school (a couple decent schools around here) and kids who go away and come home for the summer. That group is great for holidays and vacation weeks, as well as the summer, because they scramble to make their required 220 hours for the year during the summer and vacations, so they ride multiple shifts and fill in all sorts of open needs.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Jon, did you check out the schedule I posted? I think you need Adobe Acrobat.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@May 27 2005, 12:07 PM
Jon, did you check out the schedule I posted? I think you need Adobe Acrobat.
yeah. It actually looks pretty cool.

Ours isn't as dramatic - 2 driver / 2 emt slots on 6p-midnight and overnight shifts. Also shows Driver Trainees, Sencondary EMT's, EMT Students, and Attendants for both shifts. Schedules are week by week, and open shifts are emailed to everyone, usually the friday before.

Jon

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by JCHobbes@May 26 2005, 06:35 PM

I know one person said that their company sends out two pages, one to tell people to come and another to tell them to stop coming, but how do you keep the whole membership from coming out.

I keep picturing the local volunteer fire department that will have two dozen guys out on a small fender bender that didn't even need 911 assistance in the first place...
As far as having the entire dept standing around on a BS call... It happens (but they are quickly sent on their way by the officer in command). But its also happend when initial call has come in for a 1 car accident unknown injury but onscene we find car vs tanker. Then you're happy to have those extra 12 standing there.

Most/all of the townies respond to the station and take only what trucks were called, the rest stand by at the station. Only the few of us in the outer areas of the district come in our POV's.

emtbuff

Forum Captain

ECC Posted: May 26 2005, 06:58 PM
I have to ask, who is to make the determination who or what is needed prior to arriving onscene? The Police? Most of them are less interested in what we need to do than you could ever imagine...those who are, really are a godsend!

Almost all of our police officers are certified to the First Responder level. Which is really nice as they respond to almost all scenes can usually let us know what is up and are great lifting assistance when you need them. Alot of time they jump in and will lift before you even ask even if you weren't going to ask.

As for all of you that get to go directly to scene as to just going to the firehouse it must be nice. The only time we are allowed to respond directly to scene is if you are present when the incident happens or if it would end up being a family member. Other wise the only people to respond are those that are on call.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
I was just interested in how volunteer squads actually worked

Superficially it may look a tad unpolished, highway workers show up, tradesmen, factory workers, etc...no volly day crew is ever going to win the 'best dressed' award...

Yet some of those folks may have worked together a long time, and some catch on quick too, my first glance at my mates faces usually tells me quite a lot, and if it gets heavy, few words may be needed because we're so in tune with each other...

~S~