Volunteer Fire Department Runs Over Victim

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I keep having a feeling in the back of my mind that one of the local news stations said she got hit by the FD unit second, right after she was hit by a car/truck. That might explain things a little bit. I'll look to see if I can find that.

That's possible. It's happened to me before with a large dog. Car in front of me hit it and the dog did a couple flips into my lane where I swerved out of the way. Dog only clipped my rear bumper. So it's possible.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
If I am enroute to a confirmed structure fire, I would not stop to check on what I thought was a dog either. Do you stop everytime you see a dead dog on the road?

That said, I'm going to avoid hitting it if at all possible.

I don't stop for every dead dog I see on the road. However, I DO stop for everything I hit if I'm not 100% sure what it was. As the driver, you take that responsibility. Period. Nothing is that important that you shouldn't make sure of what you just ran over. If you don't, then you're taking the chance that just something like this could happen.

I'm not going to fault them for hitting this person. I don't know the situation. I will, however, say that, beyond a doubt, a public safety vehicle should have made sure that what they hit wasn't a person. The chance that there MIGHT be someone trapped at a fire miles down the road does not justify leaving someone for dead because you thought they were a dog.