Volunteer EMS questions...

augie123

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
I live on the outskirts of Indianapolis (Speedway), so none of my 'local' fire departments are volunteer. I am looking looking to volunteer my time. I am registered for EMT-B class in January. So, I currently have my CPR for Professional Rescuers and Wilderness First Aid (16 yr class from Red Cross) certifications.

I have a few questions (sorry):

1. Can I volunteer with the certs. I have now? (I heard technically all you need is your CPR cert.)

2. Can you volunteer in a town you do not live in (I'm about 15 minutes away from nearest volunteer FD)?

3. Do most/some/any volunteer stations have sleeping quarters (Would be a reasonable way to volunteer)?

I live on the outskirts of Indianapolis (Speedway), so none of my 'local' fire departments are volunteer. I am looking looking to volunteer my time. I am registered for EMT-B class in January. So, I currently have my CPR for Professional Rescuers and Wilderness First Aid (16 yr class from Red Cross) certifications.

I have a few questions (sorry):

1. Can I volunteer with the certs. I have now? (I heard technically all you need is your CPR cert.)

Depends on the requirements and volunteer/reserve positions. However, since you don't hold an EMS license, you won't be the primary provider on any patient and your actions will be limited.
2. Can you volunteer in a town you do not live in (I'm about 15 minutes away from nearest volunteer FD)?

I don't see why not. The only problem you'd have is your response time. If you're willing to spend time at the station instead of responding from home, I don't see why this shouldn't be a problem.

3. Do most/some/any volunteer stations have sleeping quarters (Would be a reasonable way to volunteer)?
I'm sure that it depends on the service.

Our rescue squad only allows "students" who have completed a certain amount of class time on runs. (must also have CPR)
We do have volunteers from other towns on our squad, their response time is sometimes longer, but we need all the people we can get - sometimes they will respond to the scene/meet us there.
We have no place for folk to sleep over - rural town, all volunteer with limited funds.

My volly service is in a town 30 minutes from mine, its overnight shifts sleeping at the station.

Back