visible tattoos and ems

emtvestsquad1

Forum Probie
hello im new to the forum..... i was wondering if i could get some feedback about what you all think about visible tattoos in ems...do you think its unprofessional, ok or whatever.....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This has already been done. I think the original thread was on long hair. Just search the forum and you'll find it.

OP
OP
E

emtvestsquad1

Forum Probie
well ok as i said before i was new to the community..... no need to be rude...... and you said that thread was about long hair. im not asking about long hair, im asking about tattoos....

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My service required that all tattoos be covered by clothing. Piercings were also not allowed, or must be removed.

When a few employees tried to challenge the policy, the service went to lawyers, who were more than happy to provide specific findings/judgments supporting the service's policy.

OP
OP
E

emtvestsquad1

Forum Probie
My service required that all tattoos be covered by clothing. Piercings were also not allowed, or must be removed.

When a few employees tried to challenge the policy, the service went to lawyers, who were more than happy to provide specific findings/judgments supporting the service's policy.
my service doesnt require that tattoos be covered but there is a no facial piercing rule in effect.. i have found that my tattoos help me gain the trust of many adolescent pts. and even most other pts. as long as the tattoo is tasteful and not some naked chick or drug oriented i think its ok within reason

VentMedic

Forum Chief
We have had a couple of good threads recently. Some of the other stuff was in the hijacked threads. It's not like we haven't repeated ourselves before in different threads.

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=208&highlight=tattoos

The one started recently by Rattletrap was good with a different spin because his tattoo pertained to EMS.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=5069&highlight=tattoos

I'm still old school were I prefer tattoos not to be visible as well as multiple piercings.

I've also seem what happens to various tattoos when the body changes over the years or after weight gain with pregnancy, weight loss, stretch marks, loss of muscle tone or wrinkling skin. I remember one elderly veteran who a popular tattoo for the 1940s, the dancing women, on his arms. From an old photograph, he showed how buff he had been when he got the tattoos. Needless to say the women were in no shape to dance any more. Also, when doing EKGs, I've seen way too many "wilted" roses on older women. Sunsets/sunrises on the backside also get a little distorted as the body changes its shape.

So, if you are thinking about a tattoo, make your choice carefully. If you already have one, take good care of you skin and keep fit. When you're older and the clothes must come off after an accident or just a minor hospital visit, there are EMS and hospital workers who will remember you by your tattoo and that may not be in the most flattering way.

We do have a lot of new members here who might put in some fresh opinions on the subject. It is also interesting to compare opinions from the Generations X and Y.

Welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: